Amazon 'rules' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Morning folks, times change, laws change, but rules within Amazon are slow to change, if ever. Short story, we moved from PA up to NY so we could be closer to our oldest daughter to help with our grandson with cerebral palsy, the drive from PA to his school and her home was almost 100 miles total each trip, we did that for a few years but it was too much, especially in winter and any night driving. So it took a while to sell our house and locate one at about the same as what we were selling ours for so it was about a wash money wise. Little did I know that when I went to order a knife, Amazon blocked my order as not being able to ship to my location. Now I hear you guys and gals, DON'T buy from Amazon, and I can agree there are a lot of great actual knife retail stores online and I do use them a lot, just ask them ;) but sometimes I want to combine things being shipped from one place, or it might have a better price or just be in stock where it isn't elsewhere. Be that as it may, I was blocked, as are anyone with NY in their address.

So, I chatted with them this morning, about a small Buck 503 Prince, has a 2.5" blade, two hand opening, at first I was told

"I am sorry but the item is not available is the reason"

to which I replied

"oh, but it is available, just not able to be shipped to my location"

Then they said

"The item is over 7" long" .... "oh, wait the blade is 2.5" long"

So I asked that person, "Tammy", to just please move my concern up the ladder to management so they can review why some are restricted and others are not.
"Tammy" said, "well, even if I have my supervisor enter the conversation they would just have the same information I have..."

I clarified that I just wanted it moved up the chain so it can be reviewed and possibly investigated and that I know that Amazon has MILLIONS of items, they may be able to query those that have restrictions going into NY State?

Then "Edwin" enters the scene, no goodbye from "Tammy"

"Edwin" asked me to wait as he reviewed the conversation, but comes back with all the same responses that "Tammy" had given.

BUT,

He finally said that, "Please do not worry, we will look into this."

I showed him a link to a Buck 110 which I would be able to order and have shipped to me. His response was "well, that does not say pocket knife, so that is the reason"

At this point, actually far earlier, I knew that the last 1/2 hour I would never get back nor see/hear anything from them regarding this and just said that I appreciated the help and look forward to hearing from them.

I know that NY laws change a while back in 2019 or so, but Amazon is all over the place as to which knives fall under that ruling and which do not. And some knives like Sencut which have a wide variety of handle colours, if you click on each colour most will be blocked but sometimes one colour will be allowed to ship ;) roll them dice boy lol

Just wanted to rant a bit I guess...Happy New years folks and keep up the great work with straightening out all those laws !!!

G2

I don’t use them unless I need to anymore either, but amazon pulls that bs in Mass too. Even far outside of the Boston area codes where there’s a little more restriction on blade lengths etc. But only for folders as far as i could tell.. there was no issue from them selling fixed blades, machetes, axes of course. And this is in spite of the fact you can legally own just about any type of blade here as long as you’re not carrying in public. Doesn’t make any sense

Morning folks, times change, laws change, but rules within Amazon are slow to change, if ever. Short story, we moved from PA up to NY so we could be closer to our oldest daughter to help with our grandson with cerebral palsy, the drive from PA to his school and her home was almost 100 miles total each trip, we did that for a few years but it was too much, especially in winter and any night driving. So it took a while to sell our house and locate one at about the same as what we were selling ours for so it was about a wash money wise. Little did I know that when I went to order a knife, Amazon blocked my order as not being able to ship to my location. Now I hear you guys and gals, DON'T buy from Amazon, and I can agree there are a lot of great actual knife retail stores online and I do use them a lot, just ask them ;) but sometimes I want to combine things being shipped from one place, or it might have a better price or just be in stock where it isn't elsewhere. Be that as it may, I was blocked, as are anyone with NY in their address.

So, I chatted with them this morning, about a small Buck 503 Prince, has a 2.5" blade, two hand opening, at first I was told

"I am sorry but the item is not available is the reason"

to which I replied

"oh, but it is available, just not able to be shipped to my location"

Then they said

"The item is over 7" long" .... "oh, wait the blade is 2.5" long"

So I asked that person, "Tammy", to just please move my concern up the ladder to management so they can review why some are restricted and others are not.
"Tammy" said, "well, even if I have my supervisor enter the conversation they would just have the same information I have..."

I clarified that I just wanted it moved up the chain so it can be reviewed and possibly investigated and that I know that Amazon has MILLIONS of items, they may be able to query those that have restrictions going into NY State?

Then "Edwin" enters the scene, no goodbye from "Tammy"

"Edwin" asked me to wait as he reviewed the conversation, but comes back with all the same responses that "Tammy" had given.

BUT,

He finally said that, "Please do not worry, we will look into this."

I showed him a link to a Buck 110 which I would be able to order and have shipped to me. His response was "well, that does not say pocket knife, so that is the reason"

At this point, actually far earlier, I knew that the last 1/2 hour I would never get back nor see/hear anything from them regarding this and just said that I appreciated the help and look forward to hearing from them.

I know that NY laws change a while back in 2019 or so, but Amazon is all over the place as to which knives fall under that ruling and which do not. And some knives like Sencut which have a wide variety of handle colours, if you click on each colour most will be blocked but sometimes one colour will be allowed to ship ;) roll them dice boy lol

Just wanted to rant a bit I guess...Happy New years folks and keep up the great work with straightening out all those laws !!!

G2
Good post, Amazon is anything but consistent with its policies. And it’s not just with knives, I recently was just browsing CRKT pens, Specifically the Williams pen. Seems there are a few versions, a couple made of aluminum and a couple made of what they call Grivory. Grivory is kind of like an FRN material. Oddly enough, the older, aluminum versions have no restrictions on shipping to NY. However, the newer, Grivory versions are restricted! I did attempt to find out why in an online chat with Amazon CS but I gave up after going in circles for a while. One thing I’ve noticed about knives shipping to NY, there doesn’t seem to be any restrictions from Amazon with fixed blades, And they tend to focus on folders with thumb studs and with any kind of flipper and/or assisted openers. Most Spyderco’s with the hole are not restricted. There are exceptions to this so there doesn’t seem to be any reasoning behind it. There is also an increased chance of encountering fake items from sellers on Amazon. This is a problem that seems to be getting worse. I prefer reputable dealers that stand behind what they sell.

I have plenty of other, unrelated issues , with Amazon , but they really do want to sell stuff ! :rolleyes:

These restrictive state laws are not their doing . They just don't want to lose money .

Their model is mass volume sales at low prices , with not always much margin , on individual items .

Blame the jokers that enact these laws . :mad::thumbsdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back