1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!

American clones. Benchmade vs Spyderco.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by emjay4248, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I find it very interesting that everyone seems to think that only the Chinese are crucified. I was just looking at some older Benchmades like the Pika II series and was surprised to see knives that look exactly like Spyderco's. I am in no way condoning the counterfeits from China I don't buy them or own them but I think it's odd that no one has ever commented about that.

2. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Do we really need another clone thread this time with a touch of you only get mad if the Chinese do it hypocrites.

Mo2, craytab, palonej and 1 other person like this.
  3. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    No.

4. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Some punctuation might make post #2 more clear, especially if there is or is not a comma missing between "it" and "hypocrites". :confused:

115Italian likes this.
  5. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    They have commented on it.

And, I believe, at least for a while, BM had Spyderco's permission to use the SpyderHole.

115Italian likes this.
  6. jill jackson

jill jackson

Sep 5, 2006
    They did have an agreement.

115Italian, lieferung and marcinek like this.
  7. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    As I heard it when Spyderco was looking for a maker for some knives Benchmade stepped in and offered to build them.

Then afterwards they continued using the hole on their products without permission. It's a sore spot it would seem but not talked about in the subforum vis shiny footprints.

8. KingMC

KingMC Chaotic neutral Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    There have been plenty of comments on it, you just haven't done your research. Trolling is frowned upon in GD, and this thread reeks of it.

Armadew, craytab and 19-3ben like this.
  9. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    If there have been plenty, a few links might put it to rest. :thumbsup: Maybe he looked but didn't find; it would be a nice gesture on your part. :)

lieferung likes this.
  10. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I guess that next time I start a thread I'll make sure to forward it to you for approval. Get a life.

11. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    The Pika is not and never was a counterfeit. If it were a counterfeit it would say Spyderco instead of Benchmade. I'll agree that with the FRN handles and the round opening hole it looks like it could be a Spyderco, but it's not. It's a Benchmade. And inexpensive, FRN handled knives with opening holes are made by many, many companies.

It has been more than commented about. It has been discussed, hashed, argued, rehashed, and explained many, many times over the years. You've only been here for a year, and I don't know how long before joining you were in to knives, but being new here means it's perfectly possible you've never come across any discussion of use of the Spyderhole by companies other than Spyderco.

I don't recall every detail, but many knives by Benchmade over the years have use the Spyderhole. Aside from the Pika, there was the various knives in the AFCK/TSEK lines, the Griptilians currently use it, the Neil Blackwood 630 and 635s, and possibly others I can't recall. The Blackwoods were an interesting confusion. Spyderco licenses the Spyderhole to custom knife makers. IIRC it was $250 per year and up to 50 knives. Neil used it on his Rukus knives, which the 630 and 635 are production versions of. At that time, BM did not have Spyderco's consent.

It was eventually worked out. Same for all the other BM knives that used a round hole. I know at least some instances weren't with permission and agreements were made after the fact, so yes, Benchmade was guilty of doing something wrong. The round hole used to be patented, but it ran out some years back, so now it's just a trademark. I don't know if Benchmade was using the hole when it would have violated the patent. My memory is fuzzy and the timeline is all over the place too. The important thing is that no matter what was done in the past, it has been worked out with Spyderco.

Your original post has an inflammatory, accusing tone to it. Like you're saying that we at Bladeforums have a double standard, that we turn a blind eye to Benchmade because they make nice knives here in the USA. Assuming that this subject has never been discussed is rather ignorant. Sorry to use that word, but it's appropriate. It's OK to be ignorant in that you might not know something. That's why this forum is here: to ask questions and discuss and hopefully eventually learn something. But it's not OK to assume and accuse because you're ignorant of the past. Your OP could have easily been worded as an innocent question by a person looking to learn, instead of accusing a company and its customers of wrongdoing.

Personally, I don't think you're trolling; deliberately making an inflammatory post to stir the pot. But I can see why some might think you're trolling, based on the confrontational attitude you're displaying here. I suggest that in the future you simply ask questions asking for clarification and history rather than making assumptions and accusations.

12. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I wish I could "Like" this twice. Well explained and factual. OP, you were behind the 8 ball from the get-go with a baiting and accusatory (but inaccurate) title.

Demanding links is out of line too. "Links" don't clearly exist due to the Shiny Footprints philosophy. When you deal with problems in a low key and classy way, as Spyderco and Benchmade have done, there tends not to be a public (internet) record.

Please continue to buy Benchmade and Spyderco with confidence as neither are part of the clone knife problem.

palonej, 19-3ben, craytab and 3 others like this.
  13. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Pirate

Apr 23, 2005
    Another clone thread :rolleyes: and we're done here :cool:

Armadew, craytab and Planterz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.