1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

American Lawman

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by Gizler00, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I am pretty certain that this will be my next knife purchase. I really want to try it on CTS-xhp. And found some for sale on Amazon. I have the link, not sure if it’s ok to post it here, but it seems sketchy. I can PM the link of post it here if it’s allowed.

2. Arkham

Arkham Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I ordered one from amazon recently. It was supposed to be the xhp version but what I got was s35vn. So you might want to double check with the seller to make sure you're getting what you want.

Gizler00 likes this.
  3. Gizler00

Feb 19, 2006
    I am not opposed to S35vn but wanted to see what CTS-xhp is all about. But if that’s not possible, S35vn it is!

I’ve just read so much about this and want to try. A local shop near me has a mini lawman and a recon 1 that held the other day. Both really nice! I was extremely surprised at the quality.

4. Arkham

Arkham Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I had a recon 1 while ago that I ended up gifting to a friend for a work knife. Always did a good job. I work in a factory now so I wanted to pick up something I knew I could beat on but it wouldn't break my heart if it got broken or lifted from me, so I ordered the lawman. The s35vn they use is great, the action was super stiff at first but after a few weeks of carry and use it has really smoothed out and is a joy to open and close.

Gizler00 likes this.
  5. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    That was how I got started on Cold Steel knives. I picked up a Recon1and a Lawman at a local store and I was impressed with the build quality and the ergonomics. They both felt very good in hand, and very sturdy. With very nice steel (xhp). At a great price. Soon afterwards I got a Lawman and my feeling about brands of pocket knives changed.
    You ll like the Lawman.

Gizler00 likes this.
  6. Gizler00

Feb 19, 2006
    Thanks for the encouragement! I just wish the CT’s-xhp was still available. I’m definitely going to get one.

I scored a mini recon1 tonight in aus8!

7. Gizler00

Feb 19, 2006
    I ended up picking up a mini recon 1 in aus8 off the exchange. It arrived today and I cannot believe the quality and how solid it is! I was so impressed, I went to a local shop and picked up a recon 1 clip point in CTS-XHP! Man I love these things. I cannot wait to get out and put them to use.

Here’s a few comparison pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jlauffer likes this.
  8. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Carried a mini recon 1 for quite a while and liked it a lot. But did switch to the Grik, as I like the uncoated blade

Gizler00 likes this.
  9. Kels73

Kels73 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2012
    I purchased an American Lawman in S35VN steel about two months ago, and I couldn't be happier. I like the thin handle and the less aggressive G10 texturing. The AL has quickly become one of my favorite folders.

[​IMG]

Gizler00 likes this.
  10. SharpieB

SharpieB Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2017
    I love my American Lawman. Really comfortable and so thin for such a solid knife. XHP is nice as well but I don’t find it head and shoulders above S35VN.

Gizler00 likes this.
  11. Gizler00

Feb 19, 2006
    I still want to try the lawman. The recon 1 is definitely large. I do not think it is a pocket hog though. It carry’s like a military to me.

12. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I think comparing the Recon1 to the Military is appropriate, as an edc /work option.
    I feel the same about comparing the American Lawman to the PM2.

Gizler00 likes this.
  13. Gizler00

Feb 19, 2006
    Here is a size comparison if anyone is curious. Recon 1 next to a rat 1

[​IMG]