"American Mutt" Series Pucks & Pocket Stones

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider

We're now offering the "American Mutt" series in both a puck and a pocket stone, in the improved 90% press force configuration we've been using for the bench stones. Pucks are excellent for scrubbing aggressively at a heavily worn surface, and the pocket stone gives the ability to repair damaged edges easily without needing to add much weight or volume to your kit. I've personally found that the edge I get off of the Mutt series, when finished using light strokes to avoid a burr, is just the bee's knees for cutting cardboard and paper, and I've been using it to routinely resharpen my box cutter blades. And like the bench stone, they're super economical and made with a blend of random sizes of silicon carbide, aluminum oxide, and trace amounts of diamond, so they chew through just about anything.

View media item 2138
I just got the newer AM stones in and so far I am liking them.
It seems more aggressive than the first batch but that may be cause it is new and not broke in.
If you can see my pic the old one is in front and I need to level that out a bit as the one side is about a mm lower and the other side is about a half mm.

I’ve ground a lot of knives and tools on this stone so far and it has held up surprisingly well.

I’ve yet to try the pocket or puck stone but the puck feels smoother than the other two.
I may give that a go on a couple machetes when I get home from work.
So far these are another excellent offering from Baryonyx.
Thanks much Benjamin.

Glad you're enjoying them! There's a certain amount of variation batch to batch since it depends on the grits and grit types of the waste material on hand at the time a run is produced, and part of the higher aggression of the new stone you're feeling may be due to the softer bond, so the particles are staying fresher rather than blunting down so much before shedding. The puck feels finer in factory finish, but I've put one of them through its paces and it's pretty much on par with the bench model. I opened a box that had a bunch of staples under the tape and ganked up the blade on my razor knife, but in under 30 seconds I had an edge back on it, thanks to the pocket stone. :D

Hey Benjamin, these look cool. First of all, thanks for the effort and innovation that you invest in bringing these new and interesting stone offerings to the market.

Questions on the new Mutt puck/pocket stone:
  • Can you give an estimated "grit range" on these? Just a ballpark, I get that you cannot be precise because of the "mutt" nature of the combined abrasives. From folks who've tested the bench version of the stone, I've heard estimates ranging from 180 to 300. Just an offhand observation from my own use of the Mutt bench stone was that it cut about as fast as my DMT XC (which is 220 mesh), but left a more coarse/toothy edge.
  • Apart from cost, how would you compare these to your Arctic Fox 2-grit puck and pocket stones? Would the coarse side of the AF puck be roughly equivalent in cutting performance to the AM puck?

I'd say they're most analogous to something in the 180-220-ish range for finish, but is faster-cutting than usual.

The coarse side of the Arctic Fox dual grit stones is finer and slower-cutting than the Mutt.

Back