American Tomahawk Company - Training

As the Forum is aware I've been asked and have accepted the position of Senior Instructor for the American Tomahawk Company, courtesy of its founder and CEO, Mr. Andy Prisco.

It is a distinct privilege to be so considered by Andy. The American Tomahawk Company, Inc., was originally founded by Mr. Peter S. La Gana of Ebensburg, Pennsylvania. For those not familiar with Mr. La Gana allow me to quote from his bio in "The Art of Knife and Tomahawk Throwing" as written by La Gana himself.

"Peter S. La Gana gained world wide notoriety for a combat Tomahawk he invented for American troops in Southeast Asia. Members of the Armed Forces praised this particular Tomahawk as an excellent weapon, and tool.

"Mr. La Gana, a World War II Veteran, is an ardent outdoorsman, but his main interest is silent weapons. During his many exhibitions, he destroyed the theory of the "The Balanced Knife." In these exhibitions he throws screwdrivers, files, hat pins, junk knives, bayonets, needles, letter openers, arrow heads, scissors, etc. Included in the act is throwing Tomahawks and an uncanny skill with the Borneo Blow Gun. Forty years of experience went into this book."

In the Summer and Fall of 1990 I enjoyed the opportunity of interviewing Mr. La Gana for Fighting Knives Magazine. To my knowledge this two-part series on the Vietnam Tomahawk originally designed and made for the Army's elite Special Forces (Green Berets) for service in Southeast Asia remains the ONLY such interview granted by Mr. La Gana in recent times. It is the true story of both Peter La Gana and his incredible silent edged weapon, the Tomahawk. I am honored to know that Mr. La Gana, to this day, thinks highly of this particular journalistic effort on behalf of his legacy and gift to the American Fighting Man.

I have since handled and owned original ATC VN Tomahawks. I have trained with these, and created a training program (and taught the program to selected students). Over the years I have examined, worked with, and studied half a dozen replicas, emulations, and variations of the original ATC VN Tomahawk. If there is any one silent edged weapon I have developed a keen interest in, and passion for, it is this simple yet perfect Tomahawk from the honest and insightful mind of a truly patriotic American named Peter La Gana.

Andy Prisco, I have since learned, shares this passion. He is the only person to - after much hard work and open hearted effort - find acceptance from Mr. La Gana in terms of rebirthing both the American Tomahawk Company and its original design, the VN Tomahawk. Andy's story about how this all came about is truly remarkable. He is deserving of great respect and - in my experience - if Pete La Gana says Andy's okay...well, you get the picture. What Andy has done is breathe new life into a legendary American edged weapon and tool. He is doing so with honor and integrity. He is doing so as much out of respect as he is his means of making a living.

And he has Peter La Gana's never before given blessing to do so.

Between Peter La Gana, Andy, and myself we will be developing an American Tomahawk Company training program for not only the flagship of the ATC line, but for those follow on tomahawks such as the New Generation Ranger and projects Andy just recently entered into since this last April. Any training program offered by ATC will be a bona fide, well considered, documented program of instruction. Such programs will be professionally presented and documented. Such programs will encourage the development of true skill, be it CQB or fieldcraft in nature.

I have been working with both a Brigade Quartermaster special edition traditional VN Tomahawk and new generation VN Tomahawk as provided to me by Andy at ATC for more than several months now. I have been careful not to simply post a quick, down and dirty, "ain't it a great product" evaluation for a number of reasons. The primary one being Peter La Gana's unspoken expectation of me from our past effort together to be as frank and honest about the new ATC effort as I can possibly be.

That eval will be posted within the next few days.

In the meantime this thread is dedicated to both the American Tomahawk Company, its evolving product line, and training doctrine and input coming from not only our end, but yours. Both Andy and myself invite you to participate aggressively on this thread. In this way we'll all learn and be taught.

You can visit ATC on the 'net by checking out the American Tomahawk Company website.

I'll close this posting with the following which came from Andy a few weeks ago.

"We used your tomahawk the other day we went on a mission and had to do some CQB we used them to help chop open doors and windows that were locked. They work real well. I always carry mine close by when I am doing cave clearing. If I have to go hand to hand I would much rather have that then a knife (and remember I am a knife maker). What ever you can do for us will be great. Again thanks, Watch for us on the news the boys of the Iron Rakkasans have done some good stuff here."

The note is signed by Jimmie Smith, an 11 Bravo Infantryman serving in Afghanistan in the war on terrorism.

Through Andy Prisco at the American Tomahawk Company, the vision and dedication to a superb close quarters combat weapon and field tool as created by combat veteran and close quarters combat instructor Peter S. LaGana continues to protect our servicemens' lives in the defense of Freedom. No other edged weapon that I am presently aware of has the unique heritage and credentials of the ATC VN Tomahawk and those other products now being offered by Prisco & Company.

And soon quality training programs will likewise be a part of the ATC line up.

My sincere thanks is extended to Andy Prisco for this opportunity to further enhance and strengthen the ATC Legend. Now, let's hear from you!:)

Mr. Walker,

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to attend one of your classes.

Are classes going to be offered just back East are do you plan to spread them out???

To Mr. Prisco,

Many thanks to you for keeping the tomahawk alive.

And to Mr. La Gana,

Thanks for the invention of the VN tomahawk and the life you put into it.

Brian

Congrats, and I am looking forward to participating in the classes.

Well done Andy, Peter, and Greg!

Best,

Brian.

"The word tomahawk is derived from the Algonquian Indian language meaning hand hatchet. Because of the design and balance, the tomahawk could be thrown accurately, but only as a last resort (Once it is thrown, it disarms the user...The only way to defeat the enemy was to adopt the enemy's tactics. In this case, fight the Indian the Indian way, but with better equipment. The white man started making tomahawks, but out of metal instead of stone."

"The tomahawk was a very important asset to both the white man and the Indian. A tomahawk duel between a frontiersman and an Indian never drew any bets, for a flashing tomahawk does not require the finesse and timing of a sword fight. In a tomahawk fight, the winner is usually worse off than the loser, he is maimed for life. It is no wonder the tomahawk was dreaded and admired all in the same breath."

"Tomahawks used by a squad of B Company, First Battalion, 502nd Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, recently routed a Viet Cong unit in savage hand-to-hand fight in Zone D, 35 miles north of Saigon. The men had bought the tomahawks themselves.

'Charlie [the Viet Cong for you youngsters] was trapped between the patrol they had pinned down and our re-act force. They tried to break through us and hand-to-hand combat ensued. My M-16 jammed and the next instant three Charlies were on me, clawing, biting, and kicking. I twisted free and got out the tomahawk. I hardly knew what happened next but suddenly all three were dead and a forth burst out of the brush with a knife. I got him too.'

"The Amazing Vietnam Tomahawk" by Peter S. La Gana

The Vietnam Tomahawk from the American Tomahawk Company served honorably and well in Vietnam. It was retired by its designer, Peter S. La Gana, upon the close of the war in Southeast Asia. Roughly 3700 hundred VN Tomahawks were made and sold, each costing roughly $14.95 w/ case at the time. Bear in mind you could buy a Randall Model 1 for about $35 back then, as well.

Today's ATC tomahawks, to include the original VN model and flagship of the ATC line, are 21st Century edged weapons cemented in the legacy of La Gana's belief that the American service man fighting overseas needed one of America's historic battle blades in-hand...the tomahawk. Every feature of La Gana's design was meant to be useful and deadly in a close quarters fight. The spike was designed to puncture light infantry helmets as well as bone. The edges were sharpened to cut, slash, and hook an enemy. The handle was ergonomically designed so that the user could quickly flip the 'hawk around to use either the spike or the cutting edges with perfect alignment occuring during the manipulation. The soldier could slap with the 'hawk, and use its handle as to induce blunt trauma. La Gana's 'hawk could be thrown swiftly and accurately, as well. It was an easy weapon to train men up with swiftly, and one that accomplished field tasks such as clearing campsites, creating shelter, and skinning out game with equal ability.

Today the U.S. military is once again seeing the amazing VN tomahawk from ATC as a viable item of equipment for its forces. Army Rangers, Green Berets, paratroops, and others are carrying and using the VN Tomahawk in battle throughout the world as the war on terrorism builds up steam. It is the most effective CQB edged weapon a soldier, sailor, airman or Marine can have with him for hand-to-hand fighting such as we've seen from Somalia to the caves of Afghanistan.

More on the VN Tomahawk later. If you're interested in ATC and its line of tomahawk products check out the web site and ask any questions you might have of Prisco & Company

:)

Back