Americas New Military Rifle Kicks Ass.

Lots of threads about this on THR.

Objectively, the 6.5x39mm is a much better round for all except very close range shoots than the 6.8x43mm- if I remember correctly, the 6.5 has already passed the 6.8 in power and velocity by 100 meters, and it beats it every way- power, velocity, and sectional density- not mention, it's a lighter weight round (read: grunts can carry more) after that, to all ranges.

John

Spectre said:
Lots of threads about this on THR.

Objectively, the 6.5x39mm is a much better round for all except very close range shoots than the 6.8x43mm- if I remember correctly, the 6.5 has already passed the 6.8 in power and velocity by 100 meters, and it beats it every way- power, velocity, and sectional density- not mention, it's a lighter weight round (read: grunts can carry more) after that, to all ranges.

John

I don't go to THR often, I'm more of a firing line guy, although this place and FF take up most of my time. is the 6.5X39 based on the 7.62X39 cartridge or the 6mmPPC cartridge?

(I answered my own question, the 6mm PPC is based on the .220 Russian, which is based on the 7.62X39 cartridge; M-43)

BruiseLeee said:
My country is considering getting steel tips for our arrows.
You can bet that the flintknapper's Union is gonna be all over your ass for putting them out of work.

Yuck, I look at the ugly piece of plastic and It makes me cringe. I watch some of the shows on the history channel where they look at weapons being developed for the military and to me it seems like a step in the wrong direction. They want computers to be attatched to anything and everything. "Private! Attach this calculator/PDA/GPS/vending machine/swiss army knife/CD player/cigarette lighter to your genitals IMMEDIATELY!" We are getting so much technology to fight men with towels on their heads and AK-47s. If I was a soldier and someone wanted to shove a computer onto my plastic foreign rifle (can you really even call that "thing" a rifle?) I would tell them another place they could shove their computer. Do they pick up designers from the star trek convention? Maybe we should just get klingons to fight our wars for us :rolleyes: . Am I the only one who misses the M-14? And before anybody accuses me of being some stone age cretin hooting and banging rocks together... think about your wood handled HI khukuri made out of recycled steel using practically no electricity, and how it outpreforms every space age materials "combat knife" you have ever used.

Just my two cents :)

45/70, when you said you were a firing line kind of guy, what exactly does that mean?
I haven't made it back to the fl yet, but suppose I will. The HR forum seems good to me- what differences do you notice?

thanks

munk

45-70 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the same things were going on with HK, although they have a factory here in the states producing weapons. I thought I'd read that they had a small M-16 contract, and were currently the replacement part manufacturer, but I do tend to hallucinate.

I Like FALS and AK's.

45-70, Colt is the only company with the M16/M4 contract with the US military. Specific units may order small quantitys from other companys on there own with unit money, but thats it. Colt did a press release on it sometime this year. Check out their website for it. As for replacement parts, I have no clue. Aside from the fact that H&K does make a replacement M16 Mag.

H&K has done some marketing that I dislike, but I still follow them. Speaking of which, their web site is being redesigned, so I can't find the model I wanted to mention. LOL

Wonder why no one has mentioned the upper barrel. The one that shoots the BIG 9MM to 12MM (can't remember exactly) rounds. Notice the magazine in back? It holds electronicly programable ammo which can explode any where you want it. Inside a target or above them at a user specified range. The fancy sight has a built in range finder that works inconjuntion with the fancy ammo. Pretty snazzy, but give me a lighter less complicated Cold M16-A4 any day. And a SpringField 1911-A1 or XD.;)

Heber

Are you saying right now Colt has the only military contract? That is news to me- as Bushmaster and I believe some others also had military contracts.

munk

wildmanh said:
45-70, Colt is the only company with the M16/M4 contract with the US military. Specific units may order small quantitys from other companys on there own with unit money, but thats it. Colt did a press release on it sometime this year.

Wonder why no one has mentioned the upper barrel. The one that shoots the BIG 9MM to 12MM (can't remember exactly) rounds.

Heber

20mm upper barrell is what they are reporting. As for the rest, I will bow to your superior knowledge. But I still think that is what I read. :)

munk said:
Are you saying right now Colt has the only military contract? That is news to me- as Bushmaster and I believe some others also had military contracts.

munk

Yes, that what I found out from Colt. Here is a Quote from their web site:

Colt is the leading supplier of military and law enforcement weaponry and related products to the U.S. Government and many American allies. It holds a sole source contract to exclusively supply the M4 carbine to all branches of the U.S. military. Only Colt may manufacture an authentic M4 carbine; those made by others are imitations.

Follow the link to read the whole Press Release:http://www.colt.com/mil/news.asp.

Heber

The xm8 is basically the G36. Having fired the g36, I'm not too impressed. The big swing is twards the ability to swap out receivers for different taskings. According to HK and Army Times this can't be done with the AR/M16 family of weapons. Also a real plus according to testers is that unlike the M16 you don't have to zero the xm8. just like all HKs it shoots perfectly for every marksman right out of the box.
Besides why should the Gov. spread funds between Bushmaster, DPMS, Colt, and Fabrique National of S.C. when they can pay off all existing orders, demill the deliveries and current stock. Then replace servicable rifles in 5.56mm with a new rifle in 5.56mm and retrain the force accordingly.

This is not a statement on policy. Everything is well. just gotta let the meds kick in.

45-70 said:
20mm upper barrell is what they are reporting. As for the rest, I will bow to your superior knowledge. But I still think that is what I read. :)

20mm? Boy was I WAY off. LOL. Thanks for the heads up. :) Acutally I'm off work do to medical leave and have to much time on my hands. Speaking of which, my busted elbow is killing me so I'm going to take a break.

Heber

wildmanh said:
Yes, that what I found out from Colt. Here is a Quote from their web site:

COLT said:
Colt is the leading supplier of military and law enforcement weaponry and related products to the U.S. Government and many American allies. It holds a sole source contract to exclusively supply the M4 carbine to all branches of the U.S. military. Only Colt may manufacture an authentic M4 carbine; those made by others are imitations.

A M-4 is a variant of a M-16. a short barreled carbine, they aren't saying they are the sole providers of rifles to the military, just the M-4 variant. Saying that the press release means that only Colt produces m-16's is like saying that only Chevy produces trucks. Right?

Bushmaster has/had contracts to produce rifles for the government.
http://www.bushmaster.com/le/agencies.htm

yep its 20mm and it comes with a 2 round bananna clip!

:cool:

edit - just to clarify I'm making a bad joke.... really I don't know..

45-70 said:
A M-4 is a variant of a M-16. a short barreled carbine, they aren't saying they are the sole providers of rifles to the military, just the M-4 variant. Saying that the press release means that only Colt produces m-16's is like saying that only Chevy produces trucks. Right?

Bushmaster has/had contracts to produce rifles for the government.
http://www.bushmaster.com/le/agencies.htm

thanks for clarifying that. :)

Heber

John Trout said:
yep its 20mm and it comes with a 2 round bananna clip!

:cool:

But are they organic Bananas? :p

Time for my meds.....

Heber

Too bad Colt has the only contract for M4's; Bushmaster makes better weapons.

munk

Back