Ames Hardness Tester Bench Stand

ak650

Gold Member
When I got the Ames Model 1, it was immediately apparent that it would be nice to have three hands to operate it. They offer a factory bench stand, but at $350 + shipping......I'll pass. Some scrap aluminum, JB Weld, a couple of hours in the shop, and done. I use my welding fixture table as a work bench quite often, so for now, that's where I'll use it. Will get a couple of knobs for tool free mounting, the bolts are temporary. Or perhaps bolt it to a heavy chunk of metal, and make it freestanding? Much easier to use now!

b0kYtDX.jpeg

1kHFbVY.jpeg

want! need!! I have that exact tester and struggle with the on handed operation each time. what size is that tubing?
thanks so much for posting this pic. I'm inspired!!!

want! need!! I have that exact tester and struggle with the on handed operation each time. what size is that tubing?
thanks so much for posting this pic. I'm inspired!!!
Thanks! You'll be very happy with the results, as it makes it 10x easier to use. The tubing was a lucky find in the scrap cutoff bucket, and is .0625" wall aluminum. I.D. is 1.0" and the O.D. is 1.125". Perfect slip fit for the handle of the Ames. The base plate is .375" thick, but can be most anything around that thickness or more. You could even use a wood base, for that matter. I put the tube at a 45° angle, as that put it at the ideal viewing angle for me sitting at that bench. The clamp is a piece of the same material as the base plate. The hole in the clamp, as well as the angled hole in the base was made with a 1.125" annular cutter. Used JB Weld to bond the pieces together, and a 10-24 pinch bolt. A slit with a hacksaw provided plenty of squeeze, due to the nice snug fit.

Back