Amsterdam Meet 2012 Report

Spyderco Prototype 2012 – Caly 3 Damascus Sprint

Despite the Damascus Delicas from the previous two years, this one still caught me by surprise. The Caly 3 Damascus Sprint is the latest in a line of folding knives that started over 15 years ago.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly3sprint.jpg

Sal explained that this model was made by popular demand, customers asked for it so they made it. This Caly 3 sprint run is destined to be a fine collector’s piece. If I recall correctly, the Damascus blade was made by Takefu in Japan, who also made the Damascus blades for the Delicas. It’s not a true Damascus, but it’s stainless so you can use it comfortably if you’d want to.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly3sprint_blade.jpg

I’m not sure on the bolster material. The handle is carbon fiber. The knife felt nice and hefty, but not too heavy. The liners are still skeletonized, the same way as with the regular Caly 3 model. I’m definitely going to try to get one. I’m nuts for the Calypso jr./Caly 3/UKPK pattern of Spyderco knives.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly3sprint_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly3sprint_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly3sprint_liners.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly3sprint_ramp.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly3sprint_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly3sprint_clip.jpg

Lighting strike carbon fiber on a production folder!

According to tweets from some very knowledgeable guys I follow, the cf in the Szabo folder was golden carbon fiber - not lightning strike as I initially thought - I'll change my post accordingly. I did think the story behind real lightning strike carbon fiber was pretty cool though.

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Lum Tanto FB Sprint

Finally my chance to capture the one that got away! I have very few regrets in my knife collection, but not getting a Lum Tanto FB when I could, many years ago, is definitely one of them. This one looks more interesting to me too, a nice burgundy handle. I’m not sure about the handle material, was it called something like paperstone micarta?

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_lumtantofb.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_lumtantofb_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_lumtantofb_taper.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_lumtantofb_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_lumtantofb_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_lumtantofb_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_lumtantofb_insheath.jpg

That caly 3 and the lum tanto are sweet. Thanks for posting the pics Mr Blonde.

Everything I can share here is a production prototype which means Spyderco wants to make it in its present form - or something really close to it.

Thanks Mr. Blonde, this is the news I was hoping for. Can't wait for the Nilakka (will probably get a Szabo too, btw...:)...)!

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Chaparral Titan Stealth

The Chaparral Titan Stealth was apparently the first design for the Chaparral series. Unfortunately, only now the maker can pull it off. The tips and dips of the facets in the titan handle are only ten thousands of an inch high or deep, depending on your point of view. Eric explained that the stop pin actually pushes into the blade, resulting in a tight lock-up.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_chaparraltistealth.jpg

It’s a stunning piece. I didn’t care much for the Chaparral line, but this will be part of my collection and EDC. The little knife feels great in the hand and the thin blade should be an excellent cutter. I also got the impression the jimping on the blade was cut a bit sharper than my other Taichung made knives, which is a good thing in my book.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_chaparraltistealth_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_chaparraltistealth_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_chaparraltistealth_ti.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_chaparraltistealth_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_chaparraltistealth_pivot.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_chaparraltistealth_spine1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_chaparraltistealth_clipside.jpg

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Brad Southard Folder

Another long awaited design was the Brad Southard Folder, which will be Spyderco’s first ‘flipper’ design folding knife. The blade certainly flipped open very smoothly. The knife felt very solid without being too heavy. I like the brown or coyote G10.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder_closed1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder_liner.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder_milling.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_southardfolder_lock.jpg

Spyderco Flipper! Yes Yes. I love the design of the Brad Southard Flipper. About the only thing that needs to change is the G-10 Lock stop.

Spyderco 2012 Prototype – Caly 3.5 – ZDP/CF

I am very happy to see the Caly 3.5 model expanding into new variations! This version is exactly like the Caly 3 with the laminated ZDP 189 blade, except that it’s a Caly 3.5. I noticed that the blade seemed a bit off when I tried to photograph it, and then I noticed the extreme high polish. I’m curious if this polished finish will also be used in final production. This one goes on my wishlist for sure.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly35zdpcf.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly35zdpcf_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly35zdpcf_liner.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly35zdpcf_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly35zdpcf_tangstamp.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly35zdpcf_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2012_prototype_caly35zdpcf_polish.jpg

What's the blade length on the flipper? I'm wondering if this could finally be the 4" spyderco I've been waiting for, but difficult to see if this is closer to 4" or 3.5".

Sounds great Brad:thumbup: Any weight estimate? Both liners in titanium?

Looks like a must have:D

Back