Amtac Blades- The Magnus

After finding very little on the web in relation to this knife I decided to buy one. I have been carrying a Northman daily since early June so I was sold on the quality of AMTAC products. The Magnus arrived with its ambidextrous sheath and the trainer. I must say I was very impressed The roughly 5-inch 20cv blade is ground perfectly. The factory edge was sharp and the fit and finish was spectacular. I have only had it about a week but its almost cooling down enough for me to head back to the woods so it will get properly put through its paces.

$550? Wow.

May I ask what "paces" a Stabby McStabbington self-defense knife will be put through out in the woods? It seems to be an egregiously expensive shiv for all intents and purposes.

Edit: I thought this was felt familiar.

How's that Northman treating you?

https://bladeforums.com/threads/amtac-northman.1683514/

I have carried the Northman daily since June when I finally pulled the trigger. I dont care for folders so I have spent entirely too much money trying to find the perfect pocket carry fixed blade. I ordered a pair of Northmans one plain and black, the other combo and stonewashed. The Northman checks all the boxes for me as a pocket utility fixed blade.

Hey Fletcher,
Checked the website and those look like well made blades.
Perhaps somewhat expensive but nobody really needs to drink single malt scotch either, right?
While the designs do seem primarily “tactical” (like billions of knife designs that came before them), there’s nothing I can see that would keep them from functioning outdoors - even with a pointy point. I hope you do take the Magnus out and cut up some outdoor things and post some pics and a review. I doubt I’m the only one here that would be interested to see how it performs.

Hey Fletcher,
Checked the website and those look like well made blades.
Perhaps somewhat expensive but nobody really needs to drink single malt scotch either, right?
While the designs do seem primarily “tactical” (like billions of knife designs that came before them), there’s nothing I can see that would keep them from functioning outdoors - even with a pointy point. I hope you do take the Magnus out and cut up some outdoor things and post some pics and a review. I doubt I’m the only one here that would be interested to see how it performs.
Well I plan to. I'm also going to test out the built in rod on the sheath and start some fires. I havent used the magnus yet, but the Northman has been a fantastic utility blade. The trainers are definitely a nice, well thought out touch, but I havent used them.

Considering they say it may take them weeks or months to ship a production knife, I don't think replying to you is their top priority.

On the home page, the designer does say he wasn't alone in designing the knife, and he thanks Jake Hoback. The prices would be in line with a Hoback knife, but if they were made by Hoback, why not say it? It's very odd. I do like the concept of the ferro rod incorporated in the sheath though.

Considering they say it may take them weeks or months to ship a production knife, I don't think replying to you is their top priority.

On the home page, the designer does say he wasn't alone in designing the knife, and he thanks Jake Hoback. The prices would be in line with a Hoback knife, but if they were made by Hoback, why not say it? It's very odd. I do like the concept of the ferro rod incorporated in the sheath though.

The weeks or months to ship has not been my experience. All three of mine were in my hands within 5 days. Both Northman belt sheaths were in my hands in 3. The website clearly states what they have in stock and when its shipping.

Back