an idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's this for a possible special project:

A titanium version of the old BQ Mini Mag-Lite enhancer, only made PROPERLY, with threads that mate with the flashlight, and no stupid rubber gasket as in the BQ brass version.

Could James do this, and if so, would anybody else be interested? If so, I've got a BQ model I'd donate as a template...

I don't know, it is certainly interesting, give him a call and see what he says!

------------------
"You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." ~Jeff Cooper
And the same goes for a knife...
And, I'm a Usual Suspect.

Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline. It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine. ~Stipe

I'd go for one for sure! I have one of the other 'enhancers' on one of my minimags - its a great concept but as you said the threads are crappily cut, and the "0" ring isn't placed properly so it just gets squeezed out when you tighten it.

I think a Ti enhancer would balance better than the heavy brass one too.

Bob

------------------
"The search is half the fun!"

Just e-mailed this page to James--if I did it on the phone I'd likely screw it up--hopefully this is something he'll consider doing!

James wrote me back and said he's not interested in doing this since it would be re-making a product that was someone else's idea.

OWOH...

Interesting as it has been discontinued and would be of a different design, etc.

------------------
"You are no more armed because you are wearing a pistol than you are a musician because you own a guitar." ~Jeff Cooper
Some of my Knives

Check out onlinemetals.com. You can buy Ti in round stock. It is fairly easy to work with.

Since James is not interested I might give it a try for fun, not profit.

Post the specs and I will see if I can make a few. If my offer to try to make these is out of place here let me know and I will edit this post.

The cost of Ti is quite high right now though. May want to wait and see if it comes down some.

------------------
Later, Jim

Jim,

I don't have a problem with your post at all. Supply and demand and it is something different.

Someone would have to send you their original Mini-Maglite Enhancer though, and you would have to have a Mini-Maglite in order to get it perfect.

And if anyone wants to send Jim their Enhancer, I will vouch for him, he is a good friend.

------------------
Some of my Knives and other neat things

Sorry me chinese.. I mean I'm a youngin
tongue.gif
.. what are we talkgina bout here? is it somethig nyou can screw onto a mini maglite to make it a ballistic light?
smile.gif

jim good luck on your other ti projhects keep me informed.

------------------
EM@IL: sniperboy01@hotmail.com

URBAN.LEGENDS.(BalisongGARBAGE)
ENGEL.DESIGN.ROOM
[FAKE01].[the mirror site](www.rejectionist.com)
Knives.I.Want
If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Don, thank you for your trust.

To every one, I just want to say again that the cost for Ti is quite high. I do this kind of project as a hobbie only. I would need to have the Ti before I could make any of these. If anyone has a source for Ti round stock please e-mail contact info. I am not interested in making these for a profit but I do need to cover expenses/costs. I could cover something less than $100.00 out of pocket just to give it a try but more than that would cut too deep into my BUDWISER budget.

S, as soon as I do get my hands on some Ti you will be one of the first to know.

Regards to all.

FYI, I'm sending Jim my BQ enhancer as a template but the hunt will have to begin for affordable round bar stock before this project sees the light of day.

I'll look as hard as I can, because I hate my BQ version...

Mak,

I hope you know Sniperboy, or I am going to have to sanction yur ass.
biggrin.gif

SnipahBoy? You know this person?

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Don Rearic:
Mak,

I hope you know Sniperboy, or I am going to have to sanction yur ass.
biggrin.gif

SnipahBoy? You know this person?

</font>
Mess with the sniperboy, you mess with me = not good.
Me and Mr. Rearic will team up and sanction your ***.
Be nice.

------------------
Be well!/Jonas aka 2Sharp

"Who want fulfillment? -denial lasts forever"
Total Emerson knives freak!!! Usual Suspect wanna-be...

The coolest bar in the world: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Camp/8373/index.html
My knives!

Hey, if any of you is messing with the Sniperman, then you will have to deal with the fury of my FARTS. And believe you me, my FARTS are not to be taken lightly. Especially after I've eaten some of my wife's cooking! (Sorry honey!)

biggrin.gif

I got eda's ENHANCER in the mail today.

It is quite well made. Too bad about the threads. I do not think that they could be recut/repaired.

If I were to make these I could not match the overall quality. That is to say I can't do the knurling. I also would not do any of the unnessary machining.

I persomally think that brass was and is the way to go. This tool would realy pack some punch. If it is just being used as a pocket stick Ti would be fine. For use as an impact tool/club the extra weight would be better.

At any rate I know what it is I am looklig for. The Ti will have to be 19 to 20mm or 3/4 inch o.d. to start. The overall length is 3 1/16 inch or 80 mm.

I am not sure that I could get the extra bulb hole exactly on center but I would be willing to gige it a try. The threads sholudn't pose a problem. We will see.

I am off to hunt for some Ti.

If this post should be moved please do so.

------------------
Later, Jim

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KNIFE THROWER:
I persomally think that brass was and is the way to go. This tool would realy pack some punch. If it is just being used as a pocket stick Ti would be fine. For use as an impact tool/club the extra weight would be better.</font>

Jim,

I think you're off the mark on that one, about the brass being the way to go. Sure, brass is indeed heavy and packs a wallop. It is also slower. If that was not bad enough, the flashlights the Brass weight was designed to be screwed onto/into, the Mini-Maglite, they are Aircraft-Grade Aluminum.

Now, having that heavy ass chunk of solid or semi-solid brass screwed onto the end of a hollow piece of Aluminum...was not necessarily the way to go.

Titanium is 1/3 the weight of steel [roughly] and it is very fast in the hand. Sometimes, speed is better. If you can develop great speed, it will still generate enough power to ring someone's bell...

Not only that, but if you actually hit someone with it, Titanium would be less likely [than brass] to split the relatively thin-walled Aluminum Flashlight at the threads.

It is no big deal to ruin a $12.00 Mini-Maglite, but you do want it to stay together for more than three good strikes. Then you can pick up the pieces [if you have the time] and go about your business.

The brass is softer than Titanium, so if you did destroy the Mini-Mag on someone's head, you would probably be able to just unscrew the remaining Aluminum off the Ti-Add On and screw it into another flashlight. The brass, being soft, would not put up with too much abuse on the threads.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Don Rearic (edited 05-09-2001).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back