An innovative knife by fellow forumite Greg Covington

I just love it when knifemakers come up with unique methods to enhance the performance of their knives. They keep the industry young with their innovations as they bring new skills, methods, and ideas to an ancient craft. Well, tonight I received in the mail a knife from just such a maker - our very own Greg Covington, AKA "XRAYED."

Greg is a "performance oriented" knifemaker. He seems much less concerned with aesthetics than he does with function, but his knives are works of art in their own right. This particular knife, his Combat Special, is a no-nonsense fighter with a scary-sharp 7.5" forged blade of 1/4" 1084 carbon steel. Edge quenched and triple tempered, the blade has a hard cutting edge and a springy spine, making it both sharp, tough, and resistant to stress placed upon it through flex and torque applied during hard use.

covington_side.jpg

The blade is parkerized, meaning it has been treated with a phosphoric acid/manganese dioxide solution that gives the blade a non-reflective finish and protects it from the elements. You can still see the temper-line very clearly.

The overall length of this knife is just over a foot, which brings me to the next topic - the handle. Made out of black micarta, the mortised handle is designed to hold a tight grip no matter what the conditions. Affixed to the wide tang with corby bolts and Acra-Glas, the handle is coated with a black epoxy that contains grit to give it a "cat's tongue" grip. The grip is also ridged, to provide yet an extra layer of friction to keep the hand in place. The end result is a handle that fills the hand comfortably, but will not slip, whether covered in oil, water, blood, or other slippery substances.

This knife just screams "combat!" and it awaits its orders for a mission. A mission that it is designed to pass with ease. Light, slim and quick, this is a fighting knife through and through.

Awesome work Greg! Keep it up. I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Wulf...I am flattered.

I am happy that you were able to see my vision for this type of knife.

I plan to make this a regular model.....and there will also be a sawtooth spearpoint version too.

Thanks!

Greg Covington

Wulf (and Greg),

What a great knife and fabulous description. (You can do ad copy for a living!!!! :D )

Rich, you have the MOST cool selection of fine knives I have seen. This one compliments all your others. GOOD JOB to both!!

Coop

That's a gorgeous temper line on that blade. Looks like it would make a great camp knife.

Andrew Limsk

Back