An old Clauss knife

My outdoors mentor, a retired minister, left me his belt knife when he passed. I have used it for better than 40 years now.

It is an old Clauss knife, probably dating back to the mid thirties. The leather washer handle is still in good shape, and it keeps a very sharp edge. I have skinned a LOT of animals with this old timer.

The blade is 4.75 inches long, and the top two inches are sharp as well.
Dadsknife.jpg

That's a beauty, the fact that you have used it for more than 40 years is testiment to it's function and quality....great stuff !!!!

That is a fantastic piece. How does the butt cap affix onto the tang?

Not only is that a lovely knife with a great history, but the name is also appropriate for this time of year!
happy0054.gif

aint that a beauty. with a great history too. Saw a knife at at an outdoor trade show that had that same type and color of handle..makes me wonder if I didnt pass on a real bargain.

Clauss is in one of the small towns near me. Fremont, Ohio had quite a cutlery industry for years and my Dad's Dad worked in a cutlery for years in another nearby small town. The Christy company was also in Fremont, if anyone remembers a thread about the Christy Knife a while back. I didn't even realize they were still in business until I did a quick search.

http://www.acmeunited.com/acme_clau/index.php

I have a very fine pair of large scissors made by Clauss.I hope the quality has been maintained even though it was bought up by Acme United.

Back