1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Old Warhorse

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by horseclover, Aug 24, 2018.

1. horseclover

horseclover Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 21, 2000
    After some months in consideration, I have adopted this example.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While those know me as a spadroon nut, or eagle head pommel nut; I also have a range of cavalry swords over the centuries. My earliest sabre is about a century after this posted walloon type. It has a Wundes king blade mark as well. My sabre soon before the mark rights were sold to the Weyersburg family.

[​IMG]

This walloon/haudegen really kind of rounds out my assortment of early modern cavalry swords. If I ever adopt an earlier mortuary, I'll be rounding the collecting back another century. With a blade just shy of 35", it certainly seems meant for mounted use. More specifications once in hand.

Cheers
    GC

DocJD, JJHollowman and LEGION 12 like this.
  2. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    The hilt on that first sword is one I've been wanting to reproduce ever since I saw it in the Tower of London book back in the '90's. Very, very nice

3. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    I love all the forge welding on the hilt.

J W Bensinger likes this.
  4. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    A lot of complex hilts were forge brazed (mechanically assembled, fluxed and then held over the coal forge until the brass slumped)-it's tricky (I've only done it once) but when it goes right it is cool as hell

5. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Outstanding Walloon sword. The thumb ring is indicative of cavalry use most often.

Zieg