And Now, for Something Completely Different

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Yeah I use to watch Monty Python.

Anyhoo, my son Logan is a working cowboy. He's been pestering us some years now to build him a "Doctoring Bag". A doctoring bag is designed to carry necessary syringes, needles and medicine on the saddle. There are lots of bags on the market however from his standpoint they tend to have one design flaw. Most carry the medicine bottles upside down with the neck sticking out so ya can stick the needle in and withdraw the medicine without having to take the bottle out of the bag. At first glance this seems the way to go. In practicality the rubber stoppers in the bottle wear out and get hard and you can drip out your medicine as you're trotting along looking for the next steer that needs doctoring.

Logan is leaving in a couple of weeks to run a new ranch that his outfit leased in Nevada. Just a little outfit, 5 miles to 10 miles wide and 31 miles long! He's taking 6 horses and figures he's gonna need 7 or 8. So trotting over that kind of sagebrush ya sure don't want to lose all your medicine. Plus some of this stuff is stupid expensive. One of the bottles in the pics cost $1200. So Monday was snowing around here. He wasn't doing too much on the ranch so he called up and asked if we could sit down with him and come up with a doctoring bag. He got here about 11 am and we finished about 8:30 pm.

One of his ideas was for the bottles to carry upright so they didn't drip out. This was trickier than expected. At first we thought of making like a row pocket and sewed a strip down the center of the back plate. Then we we're gonna put the bottles there and sew on the other side of the bottle. That wasn't gonna work so we pulled the stitches. Then we came up with the idea of cutting the bottom corners out of the pouch so it could sew down. Took awhile to get the size right on paper and then we cut the pockets out of water buffalo. Built one up on a piece of scrap first to make sure it was right:

64tHDmP.jpg

It worked so we did two which is how many he wanted. Here with the backplate:

4Fwnqye.jpg

He wanted to be able to carry two syringes one on each side of the bottles. So, when we sewed on the bottle pouches we continued the stitching, sewing on one side of the loop-for the syringes.

IP2hcNa.jpg

NOcitKF.jpg

He also requested a flap over the bottles, needle storage and a place to carry a chalk stick, while keeping it all as compact as possible. He also wanted it not to flap around as he was riding. His timing was impeccable as we had three or four different saddles up at the house at the time as Nichole and I had been cleaning them in the evenings. This allowed us to keep trying them on different saddles to make sure our three attachment points worked on all the different saddles. So to attach the doctoring bag those two slots at the top will take the rear saddle strings. There is a ring on the backside at the upper left that other saddle strings can be tied through and then at the bottom a strap that buckles around the rear cinch billet. Here it is all finished and mounted on my saddle:

dacAZ2S.jpg

The syringe tube above the flap carries the chalk stick. Under the flap I built six slots for the extra needles. Took several attempts to get that spacing right.

v8dKPQR.jpg

Everything fits nice and tight which was another design characteristic he wanted. Kind of frustrating but also kind of a fun build. Took the three of us quite a while but we got er done.
So its kinda a finished prototype and we'll probably end up making some changes as he uses it to see how it works. Whadya think?

Wow Dave! That is a very well thought out purpose built cowboy accessory. The two-tone finish looks great. I can see that becoming a cherished heirloom that always reminds him of you when he works his new job on the range.

One of the things I really like about you is your willingness to stray from the beaten path here and there to take on special projects like this. It might turn into a nice niche product for you.

Thanks for sharing the photos along with the R&D explanation. :thumbsup:

Phil

Yeah I use to watch Monty Python.

Anyhoo, my son Logan is a working cowboy. He's been pestering us some years now to build him a "Doctoring Bag". A doctoring bag is designed to carry necessary syringes, needles and medicine on the saddle. There are lots of bags on the market however from his standpoint they tend to have one design flaw. Most carry the medicine bottles upside down with the neck sticking out so ya can stick the needle in and withdraw the medicine without having to take the bottle out of the bag. At first glance this seems the way to go. In practicality the rubber stoppers in the bottle wear out and get hard and you can drip out your medicine as you're trotting along looking for the next steer that needs doctoring.

Logan is leaving in a couple of weeks to run a new ranch that his outfit leased in Nevada. Just a little outfit, 5 miles to 10 miles wide and 31 miles long! He's taking 6 horses and figures he's gonna need 7 or 8. So trotting over that kind of sagebrush ya sure don't want to lose all your medicine. Plus some of this stuff is stupid expensive. One of the bottles in the pics cost $1200. So Monday was snowing around here. He wasn't doing too much on the ranch so he called up and asked if we could sit down with him and come up with a doctoring bag. He got here about 11 am and we finished about 8:30 pm.

One of his ideas was for the bottles to carry upright so they didn't drip out. This was trickier than expected. At first we thought of making like a row pocket and sewed a strip down the center of the back plate. Then we we're gonna put the bottles there and sew on the other side of the bottle. That wasn't gonna work so we pulled the stitches. Then we came up with the idea of cutting the bottom corners out of the pouch so it could sew down. Took awhile to get the size right on paper and then we cut the pockets out of water buffalo. Built one up on a piece of scrap first to make sure it was right:

64tHDmP.jpg

It worked so we did two which is how many he wanted. Here with the backplate:

4Fwnqye.jpg

He wanted to be able to carry two syringes one on each side of the bottles. So, when we sewed on the bottle pouches we continued the stitching, sewing on one side of the loop-for the syringes.

IP2hcNa.jpg

NOcitKF.jpg

He also requested a flap over the bottles, needle storage and a place to carry a chalk stick, while keeping it all as compact as possible. He also wanted it not to flap around as he was riding. His timing was impeccable as we had three or four different saddles up at the house at the time as Nichole and I had been cleaning them in the evenings. This allowed us to keep trying them on different saddles to make sure our three attachment points worked on all the different saddles. So to attach the doctoring bag those two slots at the top will take the rear saddle strings. There is a ring on the backside at the upper left that other saddle strings can be tied through and then at the bottom a strap that buckles around the rear cinch billet. Here it is all finished and mounted on my saddle:

dacAZ2S.jpg

The syringe tube above the flap carries the chalk stick. Under the flap I built six slots for the extra needles. Took several attempts to get that spacing right.

v8dKPQR.jpg

Everything fits nice and tight which was another design characteristic he wanted. Kind of frustrating but also kind of a fun build. Took the three of us quite a while but we got er done.
So its kinda a finished prototype and we'll probably end up making some changes as he uses it to see how it works. Whadya think?
Very impressive! Just what the doctor ordered!!

Zieg

"Necessity is the mother of invention". Looks and functions very nice. Fun project. This is how I end up making most of my stuff. I want or see something, I tell myself heck I can make that and down the rabbit hole I go. Admire your work!

Thanks guys!

Wow Dave! That is a very well thought out purpose built cowboy accessory. The two-tone finish looks great. I can see that becoming a cherished heirloom that always reminds him of you when he works his new job on the range.

One of the things I really like about you is your willingness to stray from the beaten path here and there to take on special projects like this. It might turn into a nice niche product for you.

Thanks for sharing the photos along with the R&D explanation. :thumbsup:

Phil

Its always the time factor on new things. Speaking of which, shaping handles today!

I don't know crap about leatherwork, but it's always a ton of fun to read through the needs that you're meeting with the design, your thought process that goes into it and to see the finished product. Great thread.

That’s pretty slick. It’s cool to see the design process. I’m sure it will work out great for him. I used to have one I made by cutting the top off a pair of boots and sewing the bottom together with a hole in the middle. The bottle slid in the top upside down and the top of the bottle stuck out the bottom through the hole. Not near as nice as the one you made, but it worked and I could make it with my minimal leather skills.

The medicine we use now takes such a small dose, I just carry a small bottle in my vest or coat pocket. With all the vaccines we give I don’t end up doctoring very many either.

That is a fascinating story. As a "City Slicker", I have only the vaguest idea what you are talking about about the innovation and craftsmanship are outstanding.

That is a fascinating story. As a "City Slicker", I have only the vaguest idea what you are talking about about the innovation and craftsmanship are outstanding.

Thanks. Feel free to ask any questions if I can shed some light on the coboyin'

Very nice, practical and good lookin"!
Thanks

Here's some updates:

Mounted on my son's saddle:

xnUdQFZ.jpg

Long trotting across the desert:

Its just a quick 20 sec video but it definitely shows that we nailed the no flopping around idea pretty good.

Last edited:
Back