1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And.. The title of "My Ultimate Fiddleback of 2017" goes to...

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by bear71, Dec 31, 2017.

1. mistwalker

mistwalker Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    The Woodsman is a magical blade for me, that does pretty much anything I need doing.

From teaching students organic ways to reduce mosquito madness...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To slicing bacon and cubing potatoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like i said, it has been my most used Fiddleback for the 5 years I've had it. Though technically I passed it on to my oldest daughter a while back, so I didn't have it for a few months, but I missed it too much and recently traded her back out of it :)

Bmurray, PolRoger, Tekton and 3 others like this.
  2. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    Sweet shot Todd. I love the corrosion resistance of the MT Duke, and wish I could have a MT Woodsman :)

hasco likes this.
  3. Thorns

Thorns

Nov 22, 2016
    Wow, those are some excellent shots of the woodsman, thank you!

Ive been thinking about picking up another 1 or two Fiddlebacks, unsure on model. I think youve definitely sold me on a Woodsman!
    I have a Duke and two Runts. Love them all, The Duke is probably my most carried, and the woodsman seems to be very similiar in size and proportion, but where the Duke seems to chop it looks like the Woodsman would Slice real nice, less belly, so i obviously need both. Ive been between the woodsman and the Hunter.

I love the patina on yours, you can tell it does work! what kind of oil do you use on it?
    Fiddlebacks look so good when they are used!

The main problem I have for bigger fiddlebacks is finding a good edc system for them, I really want a sheath with a clip for pocket/belt, but dont want the leather so far up the hilt like most of the bushcraft sheaths are. Alot like the sheaths for an esee 3 or 4 with the clip on the back of them...

Whats the mushroom called? ill have to look that up, thats new magic for me.

Bmurray likes this.
  4. PolRoger

PolRoger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2007
    2017 was more of a restrained year for me regarding newly acquired Fiddleback Knives following a big intro year to Andy's work in 2016.

Just three FF knife purchases...

#3: KE Bushie with Lace Wood over black liners and yellow pinstripes; 1/8" O1 steel and tapered tang (scored in the flea market in like new condition).

#2: Bushfinger with natural micarta over natural liners and yellow pinstripes; 1/8" A2 steel and tapered tang.

#1: Bush Hermit with Osage Orange over natural liners and white pinstripes; 1/8" A2 steel and tapered tang.

"Southern Gent" has a nice Bush Hermit with OD green micarta scales that he let me check out earlier this year during the "Fiddleback User Weekend" and up at "Trackrock".

I like the feel of the design and was lucky to score this one which also has as a bonus some unusual and interesting looking Osage scales. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Oyster, fonedork, grogimus and 12 others like this.
  5. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Apex Predator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    ^ That wood is wonderful.

PolRoger likes this.
  6. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Midtech Duke and Kephart started the year for me getting ready for FF Weekend, both my first experience with those models and most used during 2017. Motorcycle camping with both over the year had me harvesting all the firewood and starting all the fires, leading my buddy to get some fiddlebacks to help out in 2018. Great in hand feel, razor sharp with the security of s35vn steel leaving maintenance to whenever I could get to it (generally never). Nabbed a custom shop version of each recently to use in 2018.

Then there were the Nessmuks and the Esquire I just picked up with the Shaman..and the other HB and HM...glad this year is over so many new models to choose from.

7. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    this Bushcrafter Sr. that was my only knife for the Fiddleback User's weekend

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Looks like it got a bit of a stone washing from the creek

Odaon and Kal-El like this.
  9. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Did I hear someone mention my name....? @PolRoger hit the nail on the head for me. In recent times, I've had the fortune to possibly handle more Fiddlebacks than anyone outside the shop and a couple of the dealers. After literally picking up hundreds of knives and dozens upon dozens of patterns with eyes shut tightly as to not be mesmerized or swayed by the captivating exotic and creative setup of handle materials, I had discovered "the one" that married to my hands like it was part of my DNA. While this particular knife was acquired in 2016 shortly after the pattern was created, my Bush Hermit has continued to be my #1 and will likely be the knife I'm buried with.
    IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1560.JPG

newmoon010, TPVT, hasco and 8 others like this.
  10. NoRest

NoRest Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2015
    This 3/32" Esquire was my most carried Fiddleback of 2017. I love the feel of this knife. It slices like a razor and handles my daily cutting needs well. I think it's discreet size is another reason it's always in my pocket. I also almost always have a Bushboot on me as well. However, I have several different options for the Bushboot so it gets changed out frequently. I have many other models too but they get carried when they fit my needs and activities.
    [​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    pertinux, Scotcha, hasco and 6 others like this.
  11. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    Nice looking Esquire. I like that square as well!

NoRest likes this.
  12. fonedork

fonedork Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Day bow bow
    Ohhhh yeahhhhh
    beeeaaautuful
    Chick...chickachickaaaa

The classic song day bow bow above pretty much plays when it’s in my hand. This is the third Fiddleback I picked up this year. A Sneaky Pete was my first Fiddleback which I snagged here in the exchange. It is ridiculously beautiful. The ergonomics are like nothing I have ever held. I declared it my last knife purchase. 3-1-1 the seller, a gentleman and wise man, laughed with dignity and composure at my naive and obviously stupid declaration.

After slicing some fruits and cooked chickens and stuff my bloodlust rose and I picked up a custom old school machete. It was cold already so I only cut a few dead vines and branches on some mountain laurels which another tree fell on, just for fun. It was so fun.

Next I bought the pictured bourbon street skinner. Right before the new year. I had my eye on this knife and finally convinced someone to trade it to me in exchange for taking out a drug cartel and saving his family right before the new year. When I woke up, I was holding the knife and I still bring it to bed with me. It is also even more comfortable to handle than the sneaky Pete and I think actually is really super excellent at cutting food. But I intended it to be a bowie and I am going to buy spiral hams and practice back cuts with it this weekend when my parents are over for dinner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  13. TrainedBullets

TrainedBullets

Apr 23, 2017
    Such a difficult call. I got four in 2017 and love them all for different reasons. Here are my current thoughts:

#4 - Evergreen/natural Bushraptor - 1/8” SFT - I really love this one for a day hiking knife. The lightweight, blade length (a little longer than HB), and geometry (wharncliffe gives great control) make it a total winner. The only reason this is #4 is I don’t do that much day hiking.

#3 - DIW/Natural w/blue liners Runt - 1/8” SFT - Just beautiful in every way. Shockingly comfortable and useful for such a small, people friendly knife.

#2 - Blue bolstered, red burlap, thick natural liner Sneaky Pete - 1/8” TT - Currently my primary edc. So comfortable in hand that I hate putting it down. So well balanced that I look for excuses to use it. This is my most used knife.

#1 - Evergreen/natural Bushfinger - 5/32 TT - While it is a tough call to pick #1, the nod has to go to the Bushfinger for sheer all around perfection. This is the best backcountry knife I’ve ever handled bar none. Nice long and comfortable handle, perfect sized and shaped blade, guardless. If I had to live with just one knife, this would be the one.

For 2018 I really have my eye out for a DIW Handyman.

Odaon, Oyster, pertinux and 1 other person like this.
  14. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I actually only acquired two new Fiddlebacks in 2017, both of which I no longer have. Of my Fiddlebacks my OS Ladyfinger (2016) is still my favorite. I have dreams of getting a thin OS Lady in one of the rare stainless offerings, CPM or now AEB-L, but I doubt even that could supplant my Osage beauty.

Here's a picture of her from 2017 with some young hawk wing mushrooms.

[​IMG]

I did however get a new knife from both Surls and Osprey KT.

The Surls Patch rides in my pocket every week day during work and occasionally joins me out in the woods.

[​IMG]

Any my newest, one that has quickly risen in the ranks of favorites, is this sweet guardless Warthog from Chris at Osprey Knife and Tool.

[​IMG]

mistwalker, Scotcha, fonedork and 7 others like this.
  15. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    The bolded part gave me a reaction that reminded me of the scene in Willy Wonka when Willy told his teacher and classmates that he only bought one chocolate bar. :D

Odaon, Oyster and Bmurray like this.
  16. kyhunt

kyhunt Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2007
    The knives are very nice and the pictures are great. If I may ask more about the sheath that the necker is in. Is that the sheath that came with the knife or is a custom sheath from somewhere? Its just a nice looking little sheath.

17. mistwalker

Dec 22, 2007
    Thank you. These were made by my friend Bernabe Velarde of Big B Leatherworks. And they are made to work around the neck or on a narrow-ish belt as well. He's on FB and IG, but not sure he has a website yet. He has made a few sheaths for me and several for close friends. Bernabe is a great guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kyhunt, NoRest, Odaon and 3 others like this.
  18. kyhunt

kyhunt Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Very nice. I also love the leather book/journal.