And the Winner is... RD-9! Again...

The SP-51 and SP-53 are choppers that can do knife things, not as versatile as I said before, but for heavy woods work, chopping and batoning they rule! Out side of that...eh they work sort of goodly enough a bit barely.

The RD9 falls in a knife that can chop area. The 1/4 spine of the blade is not as wide/deep? as others and the hilt and choil combo with the FFG makes it a great all round multi-tool where the 5160 adds to its near indestructibility. Well for steel on wood that is.

I think my buying another rd9 is like some kind of karma payback for Roguer buying a woodsman. Dam, I really can’t afford another $105, but what am I going to do, let someone else buy (and enjoy) them?

The sp53 was selling for $45 a month ago? They still have some left? I don’t use mine, though, nor my sp51, and I like the versatility of the rd9. You can poach ginseng with it, cut loose and eat larger animals trapped in snares and then get shot before supper!

Apparently it was just till yesterday....

Editcus: Seems still that price on back order.

Last edited:
Looks like the hardness of the rd9 is the same hardness as the junglas and the bk9. 57-58, as stated by several websites. If this is correct, the reason the rd9 isn’t chipping isn’t because it’s softer but because it has both a lower carbon and higher alloy content. Of course, misinformation is easy to come by from sellers.

I noticed the sp43 was still available, $50, and the sp53 on backorder for $46. The rat7 is $60, the only ratk2 they had was part.serr. but only $70. This website (mwusa)has the sp models listed at 54 RC.

B3B50FEB-BCC5-4F4C-A2E5-291EF2276295.jpeg For a thread about the rd9, mine couldn’t show up for a pic...too busy. Well the 3 Ontario knives in the middle are indestructible, though only one wears the original pants—the sp-10.and at least 1 of the Ontario’s always comes along, whether the trip is a few hours or a few weeks. The stainless bowie is mostly for show, but it chops and slices great(12c27 I believe it is.)

Nice stable there.

I got an RTACII because of that sale still going on. IT seems like a short medium machete to me. No chance to use it yet, but its 5160 steel should give it great use capabilities I guess. To be fare I consider my choppers SP-51 and SP-53 to be short HEAVY machetes. The thinner blade might be a better cutter for some of the thinner stuff like thorn bushes that pop up around the old farm stead. I think with the 1/4" spine though even the RD9 will have a better heavy wood processing ability over the RTACII.

The extra inch and a half blade length will baton larger pieces of wood. It may take a little longer than the sp51, but when the wood is 9 1/2” you have to go with the rtak2. It is much lighter than any of he above blades, so you can swing it a lot longer withou getting tired.

Nice stable there.

I got an RTACII because of that sale still going on. IT seems like a short medium machete to me. No chance to use it yet, but its 5160 steel should give it great use capabilities I guess. To be fare I consider my choppers SP-51 and SP-53 to be short HEAVY machetes. The thinner blade might be a better cutter for some of the thinner stuff like thorn bushes that pop up around the old farm stead. I think with the 1/4" spine though even the RD9 will have a better heavy wood processing ability over the RTACII.

I find myself switching knives a lot while batoning. The rtak2’ thinness, length and flexibility can sometimes be attractive to start a log, but often I switch to a thicker or Sabre ground blade to finish. The rtak2 was designed by a knife making legend!

An RD 6 rides with my SP-51/53s usually the RD Tanto rides along with the RD9 and now other FFG big blades I got. I'm a RD TANTO freak because of that dang sale I got 2 more...

An RD 6 rides with my SP-51/53s usually the RD Tanto rides along with the RD9 and now other FFG big blades I got. I'm a RD TANTO freak because of that dang sale I got 2 more...

I carry so many big blades I have keep 2 on a shoulder sling and 2 on a utility belt. My tak1 mod rides piggyback on either the rd9 or the rtak2.

For $30 including $6 shipping, got 2 sets of replacement micarta handles (straight from the mothership). My now 10 year old (give or take) rd9 handles like the day I got it! I did have to reshape the kydex sheath abit, (and replaced kydex belt loop with teklok). Shown with the old scales(slick with oil from hands and blade) next to a new one, and my tak1 mod piggybacking in a rattlesnakebushcraft sheath. I really would not have minded getting stuck this last stretch of bad weather with just this rig on my belt! Anyone need to replace theirs, I’ve an extra(new) set!7A1BA462-6423-41A2-B895-FAD360345067.jpeg

Last edited:
Why not sand them down to bring them back to life? ;)
Or sand them down to be more customized to any RD ya got? :)

Why not sand them down to bring them back to life? ;)
Or sand them down to be more customized to any RD ya got? :)

I won’t throw them out until I’ve exhausted the options on other knives, but for the rd9 sanding them down wouldn’t leave very much material. They are really old!

Back