Andy Roy inspired Swamp Rat Mod

Huntsman Knife Co.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ive always loved how artistic all of Andy's handles are and the way he puts together such cool combinations of materials and makes them work.

So I got inspired and decided to rehandle a Swamp Rat Ratmandu. It started out with black paper handles that were very narrow and didn't feel very full in hand.

A few days of gluing, filing, sanding, and cursing later I ended up with this. Curly Koa from burl source ontop of Tan canvas micarta with an orange pin stripe and a phenolic cotton bolster. I don't quite like how the color of the bolster turned out but I think it will get better as it patina's with use. I used cheap lacquer to finish the wood but Ive since sanded most of it off and am going to try linseed oil for a more rustic look.

Anyways here are some pics. All in all I am very pleased with how it turned out. After alot of hand sanding, the scales are perfectly fitted to the tang and it feels REALLY good in hand with the thicker scales and middle palm swell.

Thanks for the inspiration Andy! :) I honestly wouldn't have even tried it without reading your thread on how you do handles and seeing all the cool material combinations you do.

photo-31.jpg

photo-30.jpg

Here it is with most of the lacquer sanded off. It actually looks pretty good natural
photo-32.jpg

photo-33.jpg

Very nice! How fine a grit did you take that koa to? You can get padded sandpaper kits up to 12000 grit, and that puts a nice lustre on wood and other materials.

That is very fiddlebacky! It looks grate I love how curly the Koa is. I have been known to use clear paste furniture wax for a vintage look (in the stain and varnish section of harware store). Rub it on heavy in smal circles finsh with a light wipe with the grain let stand 20 min the buff in the direction of the grain. I like it because it will not get gummy is it brakes down and mixes with oils from ones hand. I have ben back and forth and mettel pins if you don't mind me asking did you peen the pins? Again grate handle I love the contours

Thanks for the info Dan! I might try that. I need to sand higher. It's only finished to 400 right now. I need to take it to about 1200.

I actually used corby bolts. I don't think I'm going to use them again. It was very difficult for me to countersink the holes and I think I actually broke the last one when I was tightening it. I hear a loud crack so I'm assuming I tightened it too hard and broke it at the neck. Either way I think the bolt us glued in there and won't come off during use.

I'm going to use micarta pins from now on.

i have ben very happy with the way micrata pins finish out i wish i could find them in colors other then black and brown

That looks great! The micarta pins will make it so much easier.

Looking good brother. You did well laminating the layers together. It's the beginning of the end though. Before I started making knives I rehandled a Busse. Then sold all my Busse's to fund knife making equipment.;)

And I agree with Andy. Micarta pins are much easier and finish off smoother.

Wasnt to fond of it til you sanded the lacquer off!! WOW what a difference that made, it looks great natural like that good job, man

Looking good brother. You did well laminating the layers together. It's the beginning of the end though. Before I started making knives I rehandled a Busse. Then sold all my Busse's to fund knife making equipment.;)

And I agree with Andy. Micarta pins are much easier and finish off smoother.

Thats what Im scared of. I started looking at KMG's the other day.....

Back