Announcing the NEW 173BK MINI SOCP!

I got really excited when seen socp in this thread title, thought was gonna be the mini version of the 390 socp folder. Got a 390 socp last week and it's all I've been carrying. I have pants with big pockets and cargo side pockets, so carry isn't an issue for me, at all. I can see why many people just can't carry the 390 much tho, as it's quite long. But the thinness of it still makes it easy to carry, for me. I can't get enough of the 390. No joke have deployed it 1000+++ times since got it, just cause I love the thwack, and the handle is just so, perfect. I haven't been this enthralled with a knife in a very long time. It's perfect, imo. Can't think of anything I'd change on it. Cept perhaps m4 steel would have been nice.

Honestly, when I first saw the 390 being released thought it was a novelty knife. Was too long, too skinny, blade would be flimsy and break easily, jimping was overly aggressive and cut into hand. Was completely wrong about all those things I realize after I got my hands on one and used it. It's just, so, good.

Please make a limited edition of 390 in m4 steel. Please. I would buy a mini version of the 390, too. Even tho know I'd like the full size more. But , I think more people overall would buy the mini 390 as it'd be more pocket friendly.

I know this is off topic, haha, but I am just very happy with the 390, and it's a socp, so figured would say this here.

Can't say I'll buy the 173 as don't have a need for it, but I'd buy a mini 390 socp, or a re-release of the 390 socp.

Sorry for rambling.

I like it! A smaller, easier to carry version like this will make a great boot knife.

My 2019 Benchmade summary: same models in different scales and or colors, A non - tactical tactical, a bendable knife without a tip, A F***ing 450 dollar cigar cutter(!), and now this "bubble wand" looking thing. Not a hater, just frustrated.

Whoa, whoa , whoa! You forgot the $1200.00 cigar cutter!

Two questions: (1) How can a knife with a 2.2 inch blade be designed for self-defense? (2) What is the purpose of the ring on the end of the knife?

I've seen homicides done with Xacto knives. It isn't the length, per se...The ring is for various "Styles" i guess.

$110 for a small stick of 440C. Did you buy the leftover steel from Schrade when they upgraded to 9Cr14MoV?

This should be $100 MSRP and S30V at a MINIMUM.

View attachment 1158530

My double edge full sized SOCP dagger is ground far too obtuse to ever cut anything so s30v doesn’t really matter much in this knife. Actually 440c is tougher I believe so it might actually be the better choice here.

That said the regular SOCP is already basically a small concealable spike with finger ring retention designed as a “get off me or my gun” dagger. The handle is designed to be able to be able to beheld in in the off hand while shooting a pistol.

The full sized SOCP blade already just sticks out the bottom of my fist so I don’t really see the benefit of a smaller one. Maybe it is for someone with tiny hands?

I also thought it must be a mini SOCP folder when I saw the thread title before I clicked on it.

My double edge full sized SOCP dagger is ground far too obtuse to ever cut anything so s30v doesn’t really matter much in this knife. Actually 440c is tougher I believe so it might actually be the better choice here.

That said the regular SOCP is already basically a small concealable spike with finger ring retention designed as a “get off me or my gun” dagger. The handle is designed to be able to be able to beheld in in the off hand while shooting a pistol.

The full sized SOCP blade already just sticks out the bottom of my fist so I don’t really see the benefit of a smaller one. Maybe it is for someone with tiny hands?

I also thought it must be a mini SOCP folder when I saw the thread title before I clicked on it.

This is correct. Also, this blade is ground thinner than the large SOCP dagger. This smaller size lends itself more to concealed carry.

Two questions: (1) How can a knife with a 2.2 inch blade be designed for self-defense? (2) What is the purpose of the ring on the end of the knife?

The ring is to prevent dropping the knife in a struggle and the SOCP was designed as a backup knife for a pistol even though it can be used on its own. The ring also prevents your hand from sliding up onto the blade in a stab as the handle is quite thin and has no guard.

Actually many self defense knives have short blades as SD knives are a specialized form of fighting knife mainly used in grappling range to get an assailant off of you.

Poor Jimmy, I know it’s his job to post this stuff but he’s got to know that it’s not going to end well.

If it was me, my resume would be in someone’s inbox at Kai!

I’ve actually seen the infamous cigar cutter in person, it is quite nice...completely beyond the pale absurd conspicuous consumption, but nice looking. I wish they would use the marble CF on knife scales.

Poor Jimmy, I know it’s his job to post this stuff but he’s got to know that it’s not going to end well.

If it was me, my resume would be in someone’s inbox at Kai!

I’ve actually seen the infamous cigar cutter in person, it is quite nice...completely beyond the pale absurd conspicuous consumption, but nice looking. I wish they would use the marble CF on knife scales.

Not a fan of this knife or what Benchmade is releasing lately but KAI is pretty whack too. Just about everything Kershaw does is imported or has corners cut with the exception of the Launch Series. ZT has been lackluster in the design dept. as well and their price hikes don't really do much for them with the lock up that many have. Have sent back several for locks that move when I grip the knife hard.

Back