anodized a old user.

Alright so I had an old user Fake strider that I bought just for kicks.

The knife was gritty as hell (could barely open one handed) and had noticeable up and down play.

Needless to say you get what you pay for.

Anyways After playing with it, it got old and was put in a box and sat for whats seems forever.

Well I got my wisdom teeth taken out and didnt work and needed something to do so I found this and decided to give it new life.

This is what I started with after de-greasing and a light buffing.
0816121618a.jpg

This picture was taken half way through the process, so you guys could see the difference.
0816121632.jpg

while the knife was apart I figured I'd have my hand at carburizing to try and at least fix the rock lock. (note the shiny part and the dull grey finish)
Im not sure if the carburizing worked but the play is not nearly as bad anymore.
0816121641.jpg

all finished and looking good :thumbup:
0816121640.jpg

0816121745.jpg

0816121746.jpg

Oh and I also polished the washers to a mirror finish and polished up the blade so the knife is much smoother now :thumbup:

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
I like it. I think you're smart to try it out with an old knife. But it looks really nice. One problem I have is that if I do it with a high-dollar knife, then I've limited the amount of folks who might want to buy it from me when I want to sell later.
Sonny

Unless you are using an electric process in solution to impart a coating, Anodizing is not the correct term for what you and some others here are doing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing#Process

Heat anodizing, sorry I need to clarify. This process creates a very thin oxide layer that refracts light differently therefor creating the rainbow of colors.

your are correct. There is the electrolysis version using electric and there is the flaming version used heat.

I like it. I think you're smart to try it out with an old knife. But it looks really nice. One problem I have is that if I do it with a high-dollar knife, then I've limited the amount of folks who might want to buy it from me when I want to sell later.
Sonny

I have practiced multiple time on cheaper knives made of TI but they are hard to find. I figured that I would try it on the fake versions first before I did it on the real thing. Thus saving my self from a huge loss in funds, and not being able to sell it for the same price as an un-tinkered one.

That's a pretty close fake.....

They are getting good that's for sure.

Back