Test ad

Another bad benchmade?

I just bought a benchmade 550-1 as a edc blade only to have to send it back for the blade hitting the liner. I picked up a new bm555 to hold me over tell the 550-1 comes back only to have burrs I the deployment hole that caused me to bleed??? What is going on with benchmade they are all made in the last 9 months did they fall off a cliff again???

Last edited:

Mikeron3

Gold Member
I just bought a benchmade 550-1 as a edc blade only to have to send it back for the blade hitting the liner. I picked up a new bm555 to hold me over tell the 550-1 comes back only to have burrs I the deployment hole that caused me to bleed??? What is going on with benchmade they are all made in the last 9 months did they fall off a cliff again???

Not sure got that new mini 940 it was perfect

sv4

I got a Ranger Green Bugout last December & an M4 Bailout last week. Both were produced in December 2020, and both were perfect in centering, lockup, fit & finish. An earlier Orange Mini Bugout from October 2020 was great too.

dalefuller

Gold Member
My 550's & 555 (I have 4) are not mirror polished in the hole, but they aren't rough enough to cause me to bleed. My last 3 or 4 Benchmades have been bought new and they haven't had any issues. It's been several years since I received a new Benchmade with an off center blade.

I should add, though, that if I'm buying online, I do ask the dealer to check for blade centering before shipping the knife to me.

I like how everyone is saying how great their Benchmade knife is made, but no one is addressing those two OBVIOUS and embarrassing examples of what knives should NOT leave the factory. Nice work trying to sweep Benchmades crap under the rug! I know OP asked about the others experience in the last nine months, but that is not my point. My point is why did his examples leave Oregon in that condition.

Sorry OP, that's real bad luck. I would be frustrated! "Just send it back" they cry... Ya, send it back to the place that let it out like that... Yep.

EDIT: Everyone needs to be checking dates on boxes. When you buy it doesn't always correlate to when it was made.

Last edited:
I have bought 2 new in the last 30 days. While generally they are Okay but both have issues from uneven grinds, blade coating flake off without cutting anything (prefer DLC, Cerakote is bad) to surface blemishes. One even installed a standoff spacer improperly. I have to fix that myself. These are not inexpensive knives, should have done better than that.

dalefuller

Gold Member
I like how everyone is saying how great their Benchmade knife is made, but no one is address those two OBVIOUS and embarrassing examples of what knifes should NOT leave the factory. Nice work trying to sweep Benchmades shit under the rug! Next time you hear someone has cancer, be sure to tell them you don't! It'll likely help.

Sorry OP, that's real bad luck. I would be frustrated! "Just send it back" they cry... Ya, send it back to the place that let it out like that... Yep.

We didn't build the knives and we don't work for Benchmade. The only contribution we can make to this thread is to state our real world, recent experience with Benchmade... which we did. The OP didn't ask for sympathy. He asked a question of other Benchmade owners that could only be answered by them stating their experience with Benchmade's recent QC. Those are the answers he got.

Calier

Gold Member
A few days ago I bought a new 940 from my local dealer. The blade centering was off, with the blade touching the scales at times. The grind also looked uneven when looking down at the top swedge/spine of the blade. Took it back, they let me exchange it for a better copy. Now I have a 940 with perfect blade centering, but the pocket clip is INSANELY tight - oh well, I'll live with it or ask BM for a new pocket clip. I have had probably 5 BM knives in the past and never understood all the complaints about their QC, until now.

Last edited:

DMG

Gold Member
I like how everyone is saying how great their Benchmade knife is made, but no one is address those two OBVIOUS and embarrassing examples of what knifes should NOT leave the factory. Nice work trying to sweep Benchmades shit under the rug! Next time you hear someone has cancer, be sure to tell them you don't! It'll likely help.

people are literally answering the question asked by the op.