1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

another day hike: garberg, beaver and streams.

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by JV3, Feb 24, 2016.

1. JV3

JV3

Mar 17, 2010
    i spent last saturday with reuben exploring an area i haven't been to in years, just checking out water sources and potential overnight spots.

the area did not disappoint...one of many fast flowing streams we crossed. although with snow already gone in mid-february i'm hoping it won't be too dry by summer.

[​IMG]

a portal to another dimension?

[​IMG]

reuben brought the prototype mora garberg for me to check out. the groove around the checkering caused hot spots in my hand after a few hours of use but was perfectly fine and grippy with gloves.

[​IMG]

the spine is perfectly squared up!

[​IMG]

i still like my 510 better though.

[​IMG]

time for lunch! warming up a smoked salmon that reuben brought and we poured the juice with some water in the pot to cook the cheddar and broccoli rice.

[​IMG]

2. JV3

JV3

Mar 17, 2010
    too much beeswax on the tomahawk handle loosened up the friction fit too much so reuben ended up rotating the handle to get it to hold again and used the garberg's sharp spine to smooth out the tear-drop shaped handle that was causing a hotspot...using the spine was perfect since using the edge took way too much off...side benefit – tinder!

[​IMG]

he misses the smell of swamp water.

[​IMG]

another swampy area we checked out revealed a resident beaver.

[​IMG]

you can see the nest in the middle of the pic.

[​IMG]

i call them hydra oaks...this area has an unusual number of them.

[​IMG]

lots of water and rugged terrain – we agreed it was one of the best spots we've hiked and we'll be back there more often. i was hoping to see some rattlesnakes though (i love snakes in general and used to have several non-venomous ones as pets) but i guess it was still too cold for them to be out.

[​IMG]

3. AnotherDogDown17

AnotherDogDown17 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Great pics! Looks like you guys had a fun outing.

4. TheMadIndian

TheMadIndian

Jan 5, 2014
    What makes you like the 510 better?

5. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Nice trip Jay, looks like a fun area to explore. You guys have a lot of rhododendron up there? I have seen a lot of hype over the Garberg, may have to check it out. O have one Mora I like, but Benjamin at Baryonyx made it a full flat grind for me :)

6. Woods Walker

Woods Walker

Jun 3, 2010
    Nice.

7. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    Was going to ask exactly the same question, great pics as always buddy!

8. JV3

JV3

Mar 17, 2010
    thanks! our trips always revolve around cooking food :D

lightweight, fits my hand perfectly and no hot spots. my biggest gripe is the garberg's groove around the checkering - it sits directly on the base of my middle and ring fingers (think where calluses usually form in the palm and it's right there).

also, everything about it feels way overbuilt for such a short knife. in this size range i like it to be light enough to hang around my neck since i usually have a tomahawk or some kind of chopper with me. i'm not against overbuilt knives though...when i bring one i go big :D

[​IMG]

thanks, brian! only in certain spots do we have rhododendrons but mountain laurel is everywhere.

ah, yes. i've seen benjamin's ffg moras the first time he did them...i have a belt sander and been meaning to mod a companion but haven't found the time yet...i bet it rivals an opinel in how slicey it will be!

thanks!

thanks!