Another fake Buck

There is another fake Buck like Plumberdv got awhile back listed on the Bay.Plumberdv you aren't selling yours are you? Do you think it should be reported as a fraud or fake?

I think if PD was selling his, he would have listed it as not authentic ...
Besides that, I don't think he sells anything :D

Don't bother with them. I am actually going to buy one.
PD liked his fake and I think I need to see a good fake too.

PD sent his fake in to Buck Inc.
They wanted to have a look at it.

The first one that I bought is in Buck's hands right now. The seller I bought it from seemed to be totally surprised to learn that it was a fake. True? I don't know, but he did offer to refund me on it.

I just received another one that I bought just because I wanted it. That seller felt the same when I told him about it and asked where to get information on Bucks. I refered him to this forum and he may have joined.:thumbup:

I wouldn't sell anything on Ebay due to the seller unfriendly atomosphere there. It takes a brave soul in my opinion to put up with Ebay's "the buyers always right" policies these days. Plus, I'm still in the buying stage, no where near the selling stage yet!:D

If you know what a real Buck knife looks and feels like, you have a head start. Also, it is extremely helpful to be knowledgable about Buck's current and past product line. Finally, knives that seem unusual or new, and offered from a foreign (Asian) country should send your radar antenna straight up.

No way can China compete with U.S.A. Cutlery Quality. Also, who wants to collect China knives? Sellers are not honest up front with the Made in China cutlery business. Most knives say Stainless Steel, that's all! China knives are made with re-cycled 440A and 440B stainless steel. All U.S.A. knives are made from New 440C or 440HC steel. Do you notice today all gas barbecues are stainless steel, yeah cheap 440A and 440B stainless steel from China even from Weber!
Most commonly you see just 440 Stainless Steel. 440C was the first generally accepted knife makers' stainless and remains quite popular, particularly since the sub-zero process was developed to add toughness. 440C produces an excellent, serviceable and durable knife, even for the new knife maker. Anneals at very low temperature. Please note that 440A and 440B are similar alloys, often confused with 440C, but not worth a damn for knife making use. Commercial China made knife companies mark blades 440. That means it's 440A and 440B, one of the garbage versions, giving the real stuff a bad name.
420HC Surgical Stainless, Other High Carbon Steel or Tool Steel is whats wanted in America. These steels have the hardness for a Great America. Many American companies have gone to China for GARBAGE KNIVES. The dealers won't even include in their auctions "MADE IN CHINA", Why? Because it's PURE JUNK and you won't buy it. In China a knife can be made for a half a buck or less, (a bowl of rice?) China is a communist regime , heads up, we don't know what's going on there?
Buck Knives still has almost all it's Cutlery US made (Don't buy the Buck folding pocket knives with wood scales or red jigged bone, they are all Made In China). Case, Queen, Moore Maker is 100% USA. Other companies have closed their doors or went to China, SHRADE, OLD TIMER, UNCLE HENRY, CAMILUS, COLONIAL etc.
Shipment of scrap steel from New York's collapsed World Trade Center "Ground Zero" went to Shanghai according to media reports. The steel was bought by Shanghai Baosteel Group Corp., and several other domestic mills, which are always eager to buy scrap metal. Scrap metal contains different steels and other metals and impurities. Scrap has to be processed in different ways to make the desirable steels.
Baosteel Group, the nation's largest steel firm, had purchased 50,000 tons of the scrap steel from "Ground Zero," the ruins of the September 11 terrorist attack, at no more than US$120 each TON, according to Beijing Youth Daily. Then they sell it back to westerners for 1000% profit.

China, the world's largest steel maker in terms of output, relies heavily on imports of scrap for its steel production. Example, China imported 5.1 million tons of scrap in 2000.
Don't buy it, ask the Seller "Where is it Made", when they answer China, say "Not Interested, I'm an American"!

No way can China compete with U.S.A. Cutlery Quality. Also, who wants to collect China knives? Sellers are not honest up front with the Made in China cutlery business. Most knives say Stainless Steel, that's all! China knives are made with re-cycled 440A and 440B stainless steel. All U.S.A. knives are made from New 440C or 440HC steel. Do you notice today all gas barbecues are stainless steel, yeah cheap 440A and 440B stainless steel from China even from Weber!
Most commonly you see just 440 Stainless Steel. 440C was the first generally accepted knife makers' stainless and remains quite popular, particularly since the sub-zero process was developed to add toughness. 440C produces an excellent, serviceable and durable knife, even for the new knife maker. Anneals at very low temperature. Please note that 440A and 440B are similar alloys, often confused with 440C, but not worth a damn for knife making use. Commercial China made knife companies mark blades 440. That means it's 440A and 440B, one of the garbage versions, giving the real stuff a bad name.
420HC Surgical Stainless, Other High Carbon Steel or Tool Steel is whats wanted in America. These steels have the hardness for a Great America. Many American companies have gone to China for GARBAGE KNIVES. The dealers won't even include in their auctions "MADE IN CHINA", Why? Because it's PURE JUNK and you won't buy it. In China a knife can be made for a half a buck or less, (a bowl of rice?) China is a communist regime , heads up, we don't know what's going on there?
Buck Knives still has almost all it's Cutlery US made (Don't buy the Buck folding pocket knives with wood scales or red jigged bone, they are all Made In China). Case, Queen, Moore Maker is 100% USA. Other companies have closed their doors or went to China, SHRADE, OLD TIMER, UNCLE HENRY, CAMILUS, COLONIAL etc.
Shipment of scrap steel from New York's collapsed World Trade Center "Ground Zero" went to Shanghai according to media reports. The steel was bought by Shanghai Baosteel Group Corp., and several other domestic mills, which are always eager to buy scrap metal. Scrap metal contains different steels and other metals and impurities. Scrap has to be processed in different ways to make the desirable steels.
Baosteel Group, the nation's largest steel firm, had purchased 50,000 tons of the scrap steel from "Ground Zero," the ruins of the September 11 terrorist attack, at no more than US$120 each TON, according to Beijing Youth Daily. Then they sell it back to westerners for 1000% profit.

China, the world's largest steel maker in terms of output, relies heavily on imports of scrap for its steel production. Example, China imported 5.1 million tons of scrap in 2000.
Don't buy it, ask the Seller "Where is it Made", when they answer China, say "Not Interested, I'm an American"!

Hate to interrupt your rant, but 440A is a perfectly fine blade steel. As for 440B, I think Randall Knives might like a word.

Bought One.
And here is why...I wanted to check out this super-sized Dorado. I think it is an interesting piece. As far as it being a knock-off, I don't like that but I still want to see this piece. It may be junk but just because its Chinese made doesn't make it so.

I have two Chinese knives, a Boker Magnum burl & damascus lockback and a Spyderco Tenacious. Both on these knives are quality knives.

Will I take up buying Chinese....NOPE, not as a routine but I will when something intrigues me. Oh, I had a Buck Chinese trapper and Dad snapped that up and took it home with him last time he was here.
1857_1.jpg

26ef_1.jpg

"It may be junk but just because its Chinese made doesn't make it so."

Bingo! I have a few China made Kissing Crane's and some Bucks. They are all very well made knives and far from being "Junk". The fact is, I've got a bunch of later vintage Schrades, Bear and Camillus, all USA made that can't stand the comparison with those Chinese made knives.

I've seen and held some real junk from China, but you can't paint them all with the same brush.

Seens that my question is a difficult one to answer because no one has. If there are fake Buck 110 and 112's floating around on e-bay there must be some way of identifying them besides having to do a metalurgical examination of the blade metal.

I would hope that someone here can help me with this question as I do shop flea markets and e-bay for used 110/112's to refurbish.

Dawg,

Larry was saying it indirectly "familiarity" with Bucks is how you know.
Take this Fake in the picture...if you familiar with Bucks you wonder about the black and red cause you haven't seen it before. The Buck etching on the blade is not like anything buck has used before. The bushing nut is different than what Buck uses on its Alpha line. So yea its not easy if your new to Buck knives.

The first time I saw one of the red and black ones, I tried to find it in the catalogs and couldn't. There was nothing in the picture to give it any scale and it looked enough like the Alpha Dorado that I thought it might be a "special run" made by Buck for some other company like they do for SMKW, Cabelas and BPS. With input from forum members, I'd pretty much decided that it was a fake, but bought it anyway just out of curiosity.

Straying off-topic a bit, but a "supersized Dorado" from Buck would be a must-have in my book. I really like my Dorado and would love to see a scaled up version (~3-1/2" blade or so).

Straying off-topic a bit, but a "supersized Dorado" from Buck would be a must-have in my book. I really like my Dorado and would love to see a scaled up version (~3-1/2" blade or so).

Here's a picture of the two together.

Attachments

• Mystery Buck 1.jpg
    Mystery Buck 1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 37
I was just going through some of my ebay things and found the sellers name that I bought an auto fake 110 from. Knowing it was a fake. There was a thread about it some time back.

Anywho,,,, There are a lot of newer guys here and I was just wondering if maybe we used the other group thing to post/identify names of sellers that might be doing these fakes as a routine thing.

I wouldn't want any infractions here on BF, and yes, could go to the GBU and see what we could stir up. But being Buck related, might not be as meaningful in GBU as using the other group, where we can tell it like we want.

If there is an interest in tracking these fake sellers to help the newer, and older guys, email me for a link. Will not contaminate this thread further.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Back