Photos Another Goodie

Pick this beauty up today.
kFUVdqo.jpg

bCt68pv.jpg

0LsmfIi.jpg

Nice! Always loved those old riggers, though as a younger man I never had any practical use for one. At least not in the way they were made to be used. Good find.

Let's answer the questions. A Model 315 'Yachtsman', made for Buck on contract only by Camillus. Made from 1974 thru 1995 in several versions. BC's version before 1988, but is second version with a BUCK,315,U.S.A tang stamp. First version in that form has BUCK, Made In U.S.A. on front of tang and 315 on reverse. Steel was what Camillus was using, SS 420 or even 440A. No Bos heat treat.
Four of five factory versions sold, some with bolsters and some were bare heads. It followed what Camillus was making for itself.
This is a rare ( I don't have one) bare head but was hot stamped Buck on the side by Camillus. Some of these bare heads may have a partially serrated blade which was offered when Camillus was making their own that way. Hot melting BUCK into the side sometimes left plastic melted in unwanted ways. The model was soon dropped about that time.
The early versions were available in PX's and were issued to CoastGuard Midshipmen for a time. Find them with other scales and some special order (high price) models. A good Boatswain would usually have a fancy knotted cord hooked to the marlinspike locking loop. Search on the Buck forum for additional in-depth information. Most of these models can be found. 300Bucks

standard.jpg

Photo of knife owned by Chuck Reed

Last edited:
BC, yours is first model.
Special rescales from the early custom shop were made. Some for sailing events, to be sold by a organization. The very rare and expensive America's Cup models are an example. 300Bucks
Scales by Buck of yellow micarta, no rivets, scrimshawing out-sourced. Signed and numbered in right-hand corner.
standard.jpg

NMP

Does either blade (spike) lock?? I am looking for one for my son and was wondering.. Thanks.. John

Back