Another grinder build ...tracking question

Ok guys , I will make another grinder with 10 inch contact wheel mounted on motor shaft so it will be drive wheel and grinding wheel in same time .I want another two wheels in different Dia .on that grinder and plus I want to have flat platen .So question is WOULD this setup /two wheels / track belt ???? What do you think ? I can t see problem but ..............
Something like this on picture ................instead of one tracking wheel to use two tracking wheel ?
zTKi55Y.jpg

ahMWgT5.jpg

Last edited:
I think the easiest solution would be to use the drive wheel as the tracking.

I think the easiest solution would be to use the drive wheel as the tracking.
Thanks ! That make perfect sence .I was planing to use motor for tension .....I think that I found simple solution ....And if I make tool arm movable i can use different dia.wheels . What i want to make is quet grinder ............my flaten plate grinder is to noisy on high speed ....and most time i work when everybody around me rest ..
This is only to see what i plan to do and IF work .I will build it from scratch....
Tight belt
9fvoaoR.jpg

loose belt
byWNHOC.jpg

SFmF0Vm.jpg

r4nOOsE.jpg

e9OLQsf.png

I agree use the motor for tracking and the ram connected to platen will handle the tensioning nicely. Boy Natek that is going to be one fast grinder! Well, just checked and with an 1800 rpm motor and a 12" drive wheel it's only around 5600 SFPM. Still fast, but not so much as I was expecting. Unless that's a 3600 rpm motor?

I agree use the motor for tracking and the ram connected to platen will handle the tensioning nicely. Boy Natek that is going to be one fast grinder! Well, just checked and with an 1800 rpm motor and a 12" drive wheel it's only around 5600 SFPM. Still fast, but not so much as I was expecting. Unless that's a 3600 rpm motor?
I have only 2HP 1400 and 2800 rpm. motor Ken.That is about 3800 and 7600 SFPM or 19 and 38m/s . Noisy one /which I want to replace / have 10/20 and 40m/s. It is pulley drive ...IF I run it without grinding belt it is quite .Almost all noise come from grinding belt ,drive wheel is AL and rest are Micarta......That s way I want to build this one with all wheels with rubber .....I hope it will run much quieter , that ruber will dampenrd noise from belt and bearings ....

Won't pushing against the platen loosen your belt?
I don t see how that can happen ? Small wheel attachment will be locked in place ......one bolt system .Gas springs would be only help to tight belt .When belt is tight as I want ...lock it !There would be one handle behind/in line with bolt of upper small wheel for push/pull .
g1Xxn2K.png

I don t see how that can happen ? Small wheel attachment will be locked in place ......one bolt system .Gas springs would be only help to tight belt .When belt is tight as I want ...lock it !There would be one handle behind/in line with bolt of upper small wheel for push/pull .
g1Xxn2K.png
Ok. I missed the locking it down part.

Ok , I will work this afternoon on frame for this new grinder .....I get some crazy idea........What if instead of making some pivot point for motor and drive wheel to atach it on frame i use several layer very thin spring steel ? I need only one , two milimeters movement in both direction ?
URLFMzS.png

Ok , I will work this afternoon on frame for this new grinder .....I get some crazy idea........What if instead of making some pivot point for motor and drive wheel to atach it on frame i use several layer very thin spring steel ? I need only one , two milimeters movement in both direction ?
URLFMzS.png
IIRC, Fireball Tool did something similar on his grinder build using the inherent springiness of the plate steel that his motor mounted to. It’s a different configuration than yours will be, as far as I can tell, but the idea has merit.

Just side note.........I ordered custom belt for this .MUST try !If it works/track belt , I think it will ...........I will make other one D plate this time with brake disc from Ducati Multistrada ;)Maybe i should try 10 inch contact wheel to ? What ? I run car/motorbike service :D
e8uNsHh.jpg

EVoSNwe.jpg

IIRC, Fireball Tool did something similar on his grinder build using the inherent springiness of the plate steel that his motor mounted to. It’s a different configuration than yours will be, as far as I can tell, but the idea has merit.
Make sence , larger wheels need less movement to adjust tracking . Thanks ! I remember that monster grinder ....crazy !

At this point you could just flip an electric scooter upside down and strap the belt around the tires. The shock will provide tension and the throttle is a VFD. Turn the handle bars for proper tracking.

Heck, you could be a mobile grinding service. Perfect!

Lol! Funny, but electric scooters are to slow!
Now if you flipped a Tesla roadster....

electric scooters are to slow!
Some, if not most, can be adjusted to go faster. When I was Rehab Director of a nursing home a few years ago, I had to slow a couple down as residents aged and dementia started to set in....

At this point you could just flip an electric scooter upside down and strap the belt around the tires. The shock will provide tension and the throttle is a VFD. Turn the handle bars for proper tracking.

Heck, you could be a mobile grinding service. Perfect!
It s weird that you mentioned this :) I have three of them ...one have i think 4hp motor , basically it is wheel/el.motor. One day i will make my dream true.ONE wheel grinder ............no tracking no tension to worry and.............quiet :D It is really doable , all i need to do is little work on lathe and send that wheel to put rubber on...I mean make it expandable tip like this one .
yItmUBW.jpg

Back