Another mini forum gathering.

Marcelo, Rescue Riley, and I met up at my place today. We were gonna do a nice hike to a pretty spot I not far from where I live, but traffic delayed Riley by a couple of hours. I do not miss NY traffic, specially during the holidays. So we decided to hit a lil patch of woods by my house.

But first Marcelo needed to learn the Bowdrill. So we opted to do it from the comfort snowless front of my place. Despite Marcelo and I hanging out so frequently, he has never attempted the bow drill. I am a bad friend...

So with Riley's help, Marcelo got his first coal :thumbup:

The afternoon started out nice. It was cold, but the sun was warming. However that didn't last. We spent the nicest part of it walking around looking for a squirrel to shoot, but luck and Marcelo's dog Sadie decided that the we wouldn't be having squirrell for lunch. So we got the fire started via flint and steel, and made some lunch. Hot dogs, soup, etc was good washed down with some hot cocoa:thumbup:

Then the sun got stuck behind a bunch of clouds and the wind picked up quite a bit. Making what was 18F feel like about 6F :grumpy:
Kind of put a damper on our skills practice, but we did our best to make a couple of vids after lunch. The vids will be posted in the Vide skills thread in a minute, but in the mean time hear are some pics that Riley took.

The following was stolen from a thread Riley started elsewhere.

Drove out to Conn. again today to meet up with one of my favorite Bush buds, Tonym. I got slammed in traffic on the way there so we where limited on time so instead of hikin ginto a location we stayed in the woods behind Tony's house.

spent most of the time warmngup by the fire as it was freezing, but we did get some skills practice in.
Little bowdrill,
Little shelter
little tracking
made some vids
cooked some lunch
Got to brake in my new bk7
good time was had by all

here are some squirrel tracks on the way in..the reason i photoed them is because the detail is exceptional considering the powdery snow.
PICT0010-15.jpg

Here is Tony, Hot on the trail of the tree rats
PICT0018-9.jpg

Here's T lighting the Fire via Flint and Steel
PICT0011-13.jpg

multipronged hotdog cooker
PICT0014-10.jpg

the BK7
PICT0013-3.jpg

an elevated Shelter Platform TOny had built earlier that we used to store our gear on
PICT0016-10.jpg

We also shot some vids
1 dealing with utilizing an amk heat sheat and a spaceblanket to creat some expedient emergency shelters,
another discussing the virtues and differeinces between a ferro and a misch metal rod

Rick Marchand

Donkey on the Edge
Did Riley stay out for the entire trip? That is... nobody said anything mean, causing him to take a sabatical?:(

Rick:p

Did Riley stay out for the entire trip? That is... nobody said anything mean, causing him to take a sabatical?:(

Rick:p

:D

Riley did stay the whole time! However we were messing with Marcelo because his dog kept scaring away the wildlife. He got all upset and and pulled a Riley and left early:(

:p

Just watched the vids on the tube.

Well, the traffic is bad everywhere right now. Late Christmas shoppers.

hey Marcelo, congrats on your first bowdrill coal, and welcome to the Brotherhood. :D

BTW, if I was hiking with tony, I'd probably leave early, too.:(

Doc

:confused:Shouldn't you be in a mall letting lil chubby kids sit on your lap and tell you what they are not getting for christmas???

:D
Merry Christmas GP!

JK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Sounds like you guys had a good day, I wish there were some guys around here to teach me some things. I do have one question, what are you trying to do to your airgun in the second photo? :eek:

I do have one question, what are you trying to do to your airgun in the second photo? :eek:

I am just pretending I have a big gun:eek:

awesom pics,your arsenal tony is rem 597?

could be wrong...............:eek:

Nope, Stomper is correct with the airgun call.
It is a Gamo Whisper. There are homes pretty close to where we were. I have cool neighbors, but their are some PETA type freaks by me as well. So the quiet air rifle is my preffered method of squirrel hunting.

That and Tony tried to buy a gun once, but found out he was a dangerous felon.

Merry Christmas Tony. Hope you guys have a great holiday.

What pellets are you running through that Gamo?
Have you tried RWS Superdomes? Excellent accuracy and retained energy.