Another movie with a khukuri in it

not2sharp

Platinum Member
This one is on the SCI-Fi channel right now. It has to be one of the worst monster movies of all time. But, it does have a khukuri in it, and even a Jennifer Lopez want-to-be. The best thing I can say about the acting is that any of us can do at least as well as folks on this film.

link:
http://shorelineentertainment.com/movies/Centipede.html

n2s

Sci Fi is usually what my TV ends up on saturdays. I tried watching that movie for about 15 mins and couldn't take it. and i really enjoy a bad sci fi/horror movie;) I wish they would stop making these crappy movies and just show crappy movies from 70's and 80's. At least then they would a good 20 or 30 years on them to attribute crappiness to:)

Jake

It looks like a UBE or a Movie Model! Am I correct?

It looks like one of the standard chrome plated tourist models. The one positive is that he knife is shown in 4 or five scenes, and it is portrayed as a tool first and a weapon as a last resort.

i really enjoy a bad sci fi/horror movie

Me too; low budget films have often broken new ground and they can sometimes be very rewarding. Whether it is the annoying but genuinely scary Blair Witch Project, or the shocking gore of Night of the Living Dead, and Texas Chinsaw Massacre, or, It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958) - more recognizable to us today as the original, if campy, template for Alien(1979).

My favorite one to date is the original version of The Thing From Another World (Hawks 1951). It has a well written script and a rare ensemble cast, that while weak on a whole, comes across as well balanced and pursuasive. The story of people being chased around by a monster is an old one, and this film could have easily turned into another version of Friday the 13. But, instead it introduces you to a large cast of likable characters; there is no need to think "don't open that door", these characters have a healthy degree common sense, and that is what makes the movie scary. The special effects are primitive, but they work, and the fire scene has to be one of the most dramatic squences ever captured on B&W film.

John Carpenter remade the film in 1982 with better special effects and more gore, which was truer to the original short story, but also lacked the characterizations of the earlier version. From the get go you know that most of the cast in Carpenter's film is there merely as monster feed.

n2s

not2sharp said:
My favorite one to date is the original version of The Thing From Another World (Hawks 1951). It has a well written script and a rare ensemble cast, that while weak on a whole, comes across as well balanced and pursuasive.

n2s
Persuasive is right!!!! I was 11 or 12 when I saw that movie. We lived in a 28 foot housetrailer in Hopkins Minnesota and my half brother was staying with us for a while so we shared the couch in the "front room" that let down into a bed.
We had the same mom but different fathers and I guess Jack took after his dad and since he is 12 years older than me he had his full growth.
Jack is 6' 2" and weighed about 200 Lbs back then and is hairy. Every time he would move for several nights I would wake up scared too death it was The Thing and it was gonna kill me in a horrendous way!!!!:eek: :rolleyes: :eek:
Dennis and Bobby the two kids I saw the movie with talked me into walking them both home so that left me all alone too walk home in the dark trailer park.
I'd bet anyone that saw me that night would've thought I was a human owl the way my head kept swivelling around on the walk home. I was afraid too walk frontwards and afraid too walk backwards.:D
These days kids just laugh at movies much, much, worse.:(

I'll have to check out that movie. I've always known the 1982 version of the The Thing was a remake, but it's still one of my favorite horror movies. I just bought the retooled 20th aniv. edition or whatever, and I have to say the effects look great considering they were done in 1982. All animatronic puppets, but they look great. Even better than the slop-job CGI effects a lot of made for TV movies use. As a matter of fact, the whole CGI stuff looked really fake to me up until Spiderman came out. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that Raimi only used CGI shots when he had to. The man still loves his practical FX:D

Jake

There was a khukuri for half a second in "Lost" last night (11/19). When the French chick cuts the Iraqi dude out of the trap, then you see sort of her silhouette walking with backlighting, you can clearly see she's holding a khukuri!

I saw one in a movie just recently, but for the life of me can't remember the name. Two guys and two girls are out hiking in the mountains is some other country. One of the girls Dad is president or something. Gun toting rebels accost the kids while swimming, and do in the guys and kidnap the girls. One of the rebels has a khuk that he uses to dispatch one of the unfortunate youths.

Didn't finish watching it and can't even remember who starred in it. Any help?

Regards,

Norm

Svashtar,
The movie that you are thinking about is " Belly of the Beast " with Stephen Segal. I am in the same boat as you. I fell asleep here and there and did not get to see the movie, although I did see the Khuk for a moment.
It looked sort of interesting in a Segal kick all of their arses sort of way. :eek:

ArchAngel said:
Svashtar,
The movie that you are thinking about is " Belly of the Beast " with Stephen Segal. I am in the same boat as you. I fell asleep here and there and did not get to see the movie, although I did see the Khuk for a moment.
It looked sort of interesting in a Segal kick all of their arses sort of way. :eek:

That was it! Many thanks ArchAngel. I hate not being able to remember stuff like that; one of the signs I'm getting senile I guess!

Back when he was getting started I never would or could have nodded off during a Segal flick. They were all good fun escapism. Now his stuff just seems to be boring. (?)

Regards,

Norm

Back