Another No Fatwood , No Knife Thread

Mistwalker

Gold Member
This has just been one of those weeks. You know the ones, the ones where you have so much on your mind that you feel like your head is going to explode and just have to get out for a while and go for a reeeeaally long walk and think for a while. Well I decided to go for a long walk along the river and stumbled into something to play with.

0001c26f.jpg

7bd17926.jpg

47a7c5f1.jpg

9d9331e1.jpg

I spotted some tracks but this is the only one that was clear.

6166d9f5.jpg

Seems that natural tinders abounded so I gathered a few and put them in my bag....and even though I was really in no mood to practice fire craft... eventually the temptation was just too great to resist.

39f01f20.jpg

751894d4.jpg

c9432ee9.jpg

60b2a8fc.jpg

The knife in the picture has an over-all length of 11 inches, that's a pretty big leaf.

20a1a980.jpg

Then walking upstream along a creek that enters the river I spotted something else, a piece of tumbled chert...and that's when I caved in and went back and got the big leaf...

7f25ae4c.jpg

5cc083b6.jpg

52500261.jpg

b705c783.jpg

12e4698e.jpg

83a02531.jpg

710d0608.jpg

53222eb4.jpg

I found another piece of chert further up the creek also so I decided to bring it and some of the thistle...and some other stuff I haven't identified yet...home to play with later.

63d5b2ca.jpg

e294b4a0.jpg

018754e9.jpg

And this is a little video I did earlier. I split the wood I used for a base before I decided on how I was going to ignite the tinder...looking back I wish I had switched it out for just some whole twigs. You may notice that I wasn't actually ready to ignite the tinder when I did..at the time I was simply trying to show how well the stone would throw sparks. But it does show just how easily these tinders will ignite.

[youtube]_CiogcHsgTc[/youtube]

Another good one, Mist: good thread with, as usual, good pics.

I really like the chert: rocks ROCK

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks Mistwalker. Enjoyable.

That looks like a practical, well-used knife. And I have to say it is nice to live in an area where chert occurs naturally. A great 'survival' rock.

Best wishes... Coote.

Bit too easy to do that round here 'cos I'm in a massive flint area. Houses, walls, churches, and even a lump of castle are made from it. Go north and it's much more challenging. Good stuff.

Really like the composition of this shot -

7bd17926.jpg

sweet pics dude. hiking next to the water is always my favorite thing to do. its an excuse to brew up a cuppa tea!

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the thread. It was one of those..."lemons into lemonaid" type things for me. And a reminder that no matter what's happening life goes on...

That was awesome Brian, I love the pics lol. It is nice to see the RECON knife being used too.

Bryan

Bit too easy to do that round here 'cos I'm in a massive flint area. Houses, walls, churches, and even a lump of castle are made from it. Go north and it's much more challenging. Good stuff.

Really like the composition of this shot -

7bd17926.jpg

Having that much flint close by must be nice,

Thanks, I liked that shot too.

That was awesome Brian, I love the pics lol. It is nice to see the RECON knife being used too.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, glad you liked it.

Yeah, it made it's way home yesterday :)

Great stuff buddy! I bet you were surprised when that tinder took flame when you weren't trying to light it yet:thumbup::D

Is that a Basswood leaf you picked up at 1:27 in the video?

G'day Brian

As always great pics & video :thumbup:

Obviously a well constructed firelay that allowed the infant fire to draw well :thumbup::thumbup:

The resolution of that video is very clear. Do you mind if I ask what you used to record it with?

One more question if I may. I know I'm a pathetically addicted fisherman, but are there fish in that water & if so why didn't you take a rod :D

Kind regards
Mick

Beautiful field there as usual, mistwalker.
They fill my heart with peaceful feeling along with that nice fire.

Love that stream shot particularly..

Great stuff buddy! I bet you were surprised when that tinder took flame when you weren't trying to light it yet:thumbup::D

Is that a Basswood leaf you picked up at 1:27 in the video?

Thanks Tony, glad you liked it! Yeah..it did catch me off guard. I wasn't even aiming at the tinder pile and the one rogue spark set it off :)

Ya know, I suppose it is entirely possible. I would instantly recognise Bass wood in a wood shop but I wouldn't know the tree if I were leaning against it :o . I went back and looked and I can't say as I recognize the leaf...other than being very familiar with raking them :)

G'day Brian

As always great pics & video :thumbup:

Obviously a well constructed firelay that allowed the infant fire to draw well :thumbup::thumbup:

The resolution of that video is very clear. Do you mind if I ask what you used to record it with?

One more question if I may. I know I'm a pathetically addicted fisherman, but are there fish in that water & if so why didn't you take a rod :D

Kind regards
Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks man, Yeah...some habits just stick with you. Small, dry, dead pine twigs always catch pretty good. That thistle makes an awesome tinder too.

It was taken with a Canon A590is

Eh, wasn't really in the mood for fishing but there are lots of fish in that river; catfish, bass, crappie, bream, blue gill,spoon bill. I've seen a few gar in the past and at one time there were a few sturgeon.

Beautiful field there as usual, mistwalker.
They fill my heart with peaceful feeling along with that nice fire.

Love that stream shot particularly..

Thanks Fujita, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Thanks Mistwalker. Enjoyable.

That looks like a practical, well-used knife. And I have to say it is nice to live in an area where chert occurs naturally. A great 'survival' rock.

Best wishes... Coote.

There are more than just one type of stone that will strike sparks from a ferro rod.

[youtube]PDNfvlKZVUo[/youtube]

Back