Another Summer, Another Disaster

Last year it was Hurricane Isabelle.

My wife and I are storm spotters for NOAA. Yesterday they activated us and we started looking for tornado's in Hanover where we live. When I left the house it had started raining. I actually found one funnel cloud and assumed it was over, so I went home after giving the Weather Service the location.

My driveway was a river, literally! I have a small creek that goes through my property that is normally 12" deep and 4' wide. IT rose 14 feet in a matter of hours. We had 12" of rain yesterday.

I spent most of yesterday evening waist deep in flood water. The water almost got to the house and I needed to keep pulling floating debris from a 100 foot section of privacy fence to keep it from collapsing.

By this morning the water had receded. I was amazed at the sheer stupidity of most of the people here. One fellow in Richmond refused to get off the roof of his car and wade through knee deep water until the fire department helped him.
Very few people handled the emergency well. I had my aceital handled interchangeable poll hatchet, a river knife I use for Kayaking, and 100 feet of rope. To be honest, I was having fun while it seemed everyone else was hiding. I even took my Kayak for a ride down a street.

Hanover was the hardest hit county by the storm and it is just unbelievable to me that so few people didn't even have a proper knife. One woman died in her car and I assume it was because she couldn't open the door and had nothing to break a window. Our gene pool is defiantly polluted!

After today I'll second, or third that! My father took a load of yearlings to the sale barn and idiots there let three out. One got hit by the bumber of an 18 wheeler and gutted, the other two headed for the swamp. One latter came back and was captured. Seems the country as a whole is dumbing down.

peter nap said:
To be honest, I was having fun while it seemed everyone else was hiding. I even took my Kayak for a ride down a street.

Strangely enough, it does sound like fun. When the hurricane (forgot the name already) slammed into Punta Gorda, my sister's house was totalled. I told my wife that it would be a great adventure to be down there in it all. She was pretty disgusted by that, and said I was perhaps one person in a million who would feel that way. I'm glad there are others out there who would take some form pleasure in a bad, but uncommon ocurrance like that.

My only thought now is, what would a phyciatrist think if I revealed all this while laying on the couch? :confused:

Glad to hear all is well with you guys Don.

This country is in a mess for sure. It is a direct result of paying generation after generation to breed. If I was given cheap/free housing, food stamps and some crack money every month, why learn?

My only thought now is, what would a phyciatrist think if I revealed all this while laying on the couch

They probably wouldn't let you buy any more guns Jeff! :D

You lucked out on this one Mark. From what I've seen the beach area only got a little rain if that. Hold on to your hat though. If Frances hangs a right instead of a left it's liable to be last year all over. Got my fingers crossed for you.

I've got mine crossed too Don. I havent lost all the weight I gained during the last one yet. Deb has the freezer restocked again. Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. I've got my eyes on one of those portable lighting systems that the highway department has laying around in the medians just in case. I'll give it back after it's over. I promise :)

Back