Another Thrift Store Find--Mystery Double Bits?

Well I just keep getting lucky. I scored a few more axes today, this time some double bits. One has remnants of yellow paint and "3 2" printed on it, I'm guessing it used to say 3 1/2 because that's about how much the head weighs. The other is an old "Western Logger" that appears to have been welded at some point. Both are cool, but I'm more interested in the yellow one tbh. I put my file to it and it's incredibly hard steel, hard enough to warrant getting out the belt sander. Was yellow a standard color for any specific brands, say like how True Temper used red paint?
Pkn8KYR.jpg
3cqBv1Y.jpg

gT4fPrX.jpg

lZkahHB.jpg

xgVxYik.jpg

Sorry to be creating so many threads like these! I'm new to axes and am getting pretty interested in them.

We love enabling people and asking+answering their questions so don't worry about that. Now, as for the Western Logger, here's a thread on them. Western Logger Axes? | BladeForums.com As for Ol' Yeller, I would have said user painted if it weren't for the round paint profiles on the bottom of the head. Unfortunately, I can't identify it just by the paint unless it's an Ochsenkopf.

I'd side with A17 in that the yellow paint was an individual owner's job,maybe a contractor or Public Works marking.
It appears to be a decent tool to say the least,thin sides of the eye,deeply convex blade,a well-constructed DB.It appears to've been sharpened and used by a pro,so a great work-axe i'd say.

Western logger is curious(heck of a weld-bead on that one side,for whatever reason not even ground down;possibly a crack due to a waterlogged+frozen handle stub in the past).
Thanks to A17 for the link to a thread on those.
There is a mention of weld-lines there,and so on this DB too,by all appearances on photo,very apparent joints.
And like the other one,it looks well-used and in working order,bits well-shaped.

We love enabling people and asking+answering their questions so don't worry about that. Now, as for the Western Logger, here's a thread on them. Western Logger Axes? | BladeForums.com As for Ol' Yeller, I would have said user painted if it weren't for the round paint profiles on the bottom of the head. Unfortunately, I can't identify it just by the paint unless it's an Ochsenkopf.
Those western loggers look pretty good for coming out of GB in the 70's.
Not to sure on that.

The original owner probably painted it yellow themselves.

The only manufacturer I can think of that used yellow was Walters , but as a Canadian company their axes don't seem too common here in the states.

All I can add (and I learned it recently) is that the "3 2" means "3 pounds and 2 quarter pounds", like how rebar is labeled by how many tenths of an inch. So it never said "3 1/2" but it is in fact 3.5lbs. And of the few examples I've seen with this format, all have been either "3" or "3 2" so I don't think it was the most popular way of labeling axes. For example, I have seen a lot of old Collins boys axes that say "2 1/4" without using any fancy shorthand.

Back