Photos Another trip to the forest

Currawong

Gold Member
Another exploratory trip, bushwacking into some thick old growth forest and rainforest. I've been systematically working my way down every valley and over every hill in the local wilderness, just to see what's there.

Entering the forest...
a01.jpg

Lots of rotten logs to clamber over
a02.jpg

A funnel web nest in the log. These radiating webs are the triggers. Basically a giant black spider crawls out of this hole and tries to kill you
a03.jpg

Some kind of yellow goo growing on the log
a04.jpg

Spiky vines block the path everywhere. They're too sharp to easily grab with bare hands (you have to do this a hundred times, the pain adds up), so a Battle Mistress is a useful tool for pushing them aside.
a05.jpg

Down into the rainforest
a07.jpg

The 'path' wound around a series of small cliffs
a06.jpg

a08.jpg

This is my hiking belt
a09.jpg

Only the essentials !!
a10.jpg

Last edited:
A tree fern has gone to sleep
b01.jpg

A fallen log makes a bridge over a small muddy creek
b02.jpg

A rainforest tree growing out of the side of a tree fern. Any rainforest trees that germinate on the ground tend to get eaten by wallabies, so almost all rainforest trees here begin life this way.
b03.jpg

A mature rainforest tree, about three or four metres wide at the base. Battle mistress on the trunk for scale. There once would have been a tree fern in the middle.
b04.jpg

Their roots start two or three metres up in the air (where they originally germinated) and grow downwards towards the ground.
b05.jpg

SCABS small choil anorexic boss street
b06.jpg

CGFBM combat grade fusion battle mistress
b07.jpg

The bottom of the gully - a dry creek bed - ran underneath this tree. But where is the water?
b08.jpg

These rocks in the dry creek would form small waterfalls when it rains
b09.jpg

The stream emerges from the rocks a bit further down. Above this point, it was obviously flowing underground
b10.jpg

Last edited:
I always enjoy your pic-heavy hiking threads, thanks.
The rain forests there remind me of the movie “Predator”.

A giant tree had fallen across the creek. I think it knocked down some other trees as well. It was too hard to go around (forest and vines too thick to the left and right), so I had no choice but to go through the middle of the debris.
c01.jpg

Didn't look any better up close
c02.jpg

So I got started
c03.jpg

Lots of chopping later, about third of the way through
c04.jpg

The tree knocked over this tree fern. You can see the new fern frond here. These are edible, in a pinch. You strip off the tough skin and eat the inner part. A few are okay, but don't eat too many or they'll poison you.
c05.jpg

c06.jpg

2/3 of the way
c07.jpg

Most of it was just clipping off these small branches so I could crawl underneath the big ones
c08.jpg

Almost there
c09.jpg

After about 15 mins... made it through !!
c10.jpg

Last edited:
I had made it to the heart of the rainforest
d01.jpg

d02.jpg

d03.jpg

d04.jpg

Lots of fungi everywhere
d05.jpg

d06.jpg

You shouldn't put your finger near these !!
d07.jpg

Big vines growing here
d08.jpg

Going up the other side, it was steep enough and the soil loose enough that I periodically would slide two or three metres back down the hill. Had to use the Mistress as a handhold for every step in the worst parts
d09.jpg

d10.jpg

Last edited:
Then the mist came in
e01.jpg

e02.jpg

And big trees began appearing
e03.jpg

e04.jpg

e05.jpg

e06.jpg

And many more as I climbed the slope on my way back out
e07.jpg

e08.jpg

e09.jpg

The mist then turned to a steady rain for the last hour or so. I was soaked by the time I got out of the forest. But it was worth it ! Thanks for joining me :)
e10.jpg

Always awesome to follow one of your adventures! Love the choices of FBM and SCABS. Love those trees as well. Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks for sharing !!!!! Great pics !!!! And two great blades :)

Amazing pics as usual mate. Beautiful area. And good to see those blades in action.

I've done that Clyde Mountain drive about a million times. Truly stunning forest.

Amazing pics as usual mate. Beautiful area. And good to see those blades in action.

I've done that Clyde Mountain drive about a million times. Truly stunning forest.

That's a long way from home for you ! I hope these aren't day trips.

Damn those are nice forests! Thanks for the great photos! Not to mention some gutsy photos, with all the poisonous everything’s around.

Last edited:
Back