Anthony Bourdain's custom Bob Kramer chef's knife going up for auction

I agree. This knife is ALL over the internet in articles about his possessions auction (Over 200 lots). However, the NYT got it right:

"The knife for sale, which is expected to fetch the highest price of any lot, is a Bob Kramer steel and meteorite from Campo de Cielo in South America, which Mr. Kramer made for Mr. Bourdain and gave to him in 2016."

I predict $40k. It could go much higher. Direct info here.
^^ From Post #2 in this cool thread. Less than two days to go. and it's at $27,500 :)

Link to Knife Auction page

Looking at the other things of his in that auction, it seems like everything is going for well in excess of what it was estimated to go for. To my eye, that seems to suggest that the high dollar value comes in large part from the fact that Bourdain owned it. Fortunately, I am not someone who is easily "star struck". ;)

To my eye, that seems to suggest that the high dollar value comes in large part from the fact that Bourdain owned it
Most of the stuff I don't know enough to comment on, but some of the items were drastically under-priced, regardless of who owned it. A $5-8K estimate on a Patek Phillipe, or $800-1200 on a Rolex?

Most of the stuff I don't know enough to comment on, but some of the items were drastically under-priced, regardless of who owned it. A $5-8K estimate on a Patek Phillipe, or $800-1200 on a Rolex?
You may be correct in that it was underpriced, but it's hard to tell. I'd like to believe that whomever appraised that stuff would have some minimal level of expertise that would at least get them in the ballpark of the actual values of the items. All we have is some very generalized description with no guarantees that anything is in working condition or will remain in working condition. In general though, I do agree that a properly working Panerai watch or a Patek Phillipe watch should be able to bring in more that what those particular pieces are valued at in the auction.

Last edited:
Holy smokes. That's quite a jump from the $20's. I'd say someone wants this!

Was not expecting it to go this high, I figured 25-40k. Goes to show just how well known and wanted kramer knives are. Throwing in a celeb owner just took it through the roof though. I mean this is one of Kramer's lower end knives over the last 5 years. Yet used, is reaching the point some of the more recent Kramer/ferry collabs sell for. Def resting my case on kramer being the most well known mastersmith in history... hell just this one knife of his now has more pr than 90% of masters will get in an entire lifetime.

Was not expecting it to go this high, I figured 25-40k. Goes to show just how well known and wanted kramer knives are. Throwing in a celeb owner just took it through the roof though. I mean this is one of Kramer's lower end knives over the last 5 years. Yet used, is reaching the point some of the more recent Kramer/ferry collabs sell for. Def resting my case on kramer being the most well known mastersmith in history... hell just this one knife of his now has more pr than 90% of masters will get in an entire lifetime.

I believe the primary mover in this value equation has so much more to do with Bourdain than with Kramer.

Looks like the final price was $231,250. I'm sure that whomever got it will be telling everyone that is was Anthony Bourdain's knife...ad nauseum. Otherwise, what's the point?

At least two bidders wanted it at OVER $200,000.

Although I predicted "It could go much higher than $40k" I didn't forecast this.

None of us did. That's multi-millionaire territory.

A famous knife, made by a famous maker and owned by a famous celebrity.

Sounds about right in the world of real wealth.

How did the other lots fare vs. pre auction estimates? The knife was 4-6K So that's lot of points over.

If only the knife was unexpectedly high then someone really wanted the knife. If it was all way over estimate then folks really wanted to juice that scholarship fund and anyone else that would benefit from the proceeds.

Back