Antique Russel Locking Fish Knife bought at a flea market

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by testdepth, Dec 11, 2012.

1. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    I recently bought this knife from a local collector at the flea market. I really just liked the knife without knowing anything about it. Apparently it is a rare item and this is the only one I have ever seen. Through the helpful folks in the ID forum I was told this Russell Locking Fish Folding Knife dates 1884-1933 with saw cut bone handles. It is in very good condition and still very tight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. confucius37

confucius37 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2008
    wow, that looks awesome! Can you tell us more about the locking mechanism? I don't see how it locks in the pictures.

3. akadave2

akadave2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2008
    SCORE! Thats a beauty! Has all the elements, barehead, easy open, cool blade design...its a Russel...nice!

4. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Very nice. Great find :thumbup:

5. shrapne1

shrapne1

Aug 17, 2012
    i catch a very small glimpse of a lockback?

6. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    I'll try to get pics for you guys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. confucius37

confucius37 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2008
    Sweet! Thanks for taking more pics, now I see it :)

That fish scaler looks vicious! Fish don't stand a chance! This is a really cool knife.

8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Vicious indeed! Actually looks like a saw. Very good old knife of obvious merit, lucky you!

9. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Super find and absolutely gorgeous!! But....I have to say..not pocket friendly:D;)

10. 67nick

67nick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Wow very cool find! You certainly don't see one of those everyday, especially not in that condition... So where did you say that flea market was???

11. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    IMPRESSIVE!

Congrats on that one.

12. knarfeng

Jul 30, 2006
    double rattin frattin!

13. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    I have been going to this flea market for 13yrs and this is the first time I ever saw this guy there. It was a definite case of right place at right time and money in hand. By the way the scaler is dang sharp!

KNARFENG- double rattin frattin ??

14. knarfeng

Jul 30, 2006
    I been double posting a bunch tonight. Not sure why. I borrowed the rattin phrase from Yosemite Sam.

15. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    You mean like this!! Yosemite Sam is the best!

[video=youtube;QnDxPG3KrtA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnDxPG3KrtA[/video]

16. Humppa

Humppa

Jul 25, 2010
    That´s a fine old knife. Especially to its age, it still seems to be in great condition. Congratz on that great find! I´m sure, you´ll enjoy that beauty.

17. PaulBosley

PaulBosley

Dec 3, 2012
    WOW!!! My wife is always wanting to go to this big flea market I always said no. Now I got to go!

18. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Beautiful knife, just a fantastic knife that one, thank you for sharing with us.

19. LKJW

LKJW

Nov 21, 2010
    That made my night. Love it. And I watched The Dirty Dozen tonight, so that's high praise. I have quite a few cheap fish knives. That is a quality knife. :thumbup:

20. testdepth

testdepth

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks very much fellas! The flea market is The Pecan Park Flea Market in Jacksonville FL. This was the first time I had seen this gentleman there in 13yrs but I do have a point of contact for Mr. Tall Paul if anyone wants it. He did have other knives for sale but this was the only Russell. Mr. Paul had quite a collection of folders and fixed blade knives. I just picked it out because it looked unique, very old and in very good condition. I repair (1700's-1900's) and refinish anitique steamer trunks and furniture. I have also built a display case for a friends M1 Garand. My intention with this knife is not to keep it but sell it or trade it. I do want to build a display case for it and think I have enough Mahoghany to do it. I have not posted it for sale on any website. There are two members here that expressed interest.