Antiquing/Highlighting the Horsewright Way

Not at all, go ahead.
Hi and good mornin'. Thanks. The photo is my third effort about 5 months ago. I love this work! How do you make a sheath without a welt with some sort of a hard insert to protect the leather? Also. I wet form the leather. I was an upholsterer and did a lot of leather work with lighter leather. We wet it often. However, it gets pretty hard when staining and using Resolene. Sort of like a shoe. Using vegetable tanned 8-10 ounce from Springfield. Beautiful but too shiny and hard. Love a soft yielding supple feel but finished and protected. Thanks again for your response.

Hi and good mornin'. Thanks. The photo is my third effort about 5 months ago. I love this work! How do you make a sheath without a welt with some sort of a hard insert to protect the leather? Also. I wet form the leather. I was an upholsterer and did a lot of leather work with lighter leather. We wet it often. However, it gets pretty hard when staining and using Resolene. Sort of like a shoe. Using vegetable tanned 8-10 ounce from Springfield. Beautiful but too shiny and hard. Love a soft yielding supple feel but finished and protected. Thanks again for your response.
Not seeing the pic?

Not sure I'm your guy to ask. Sounds like you are looking for a leather wrapped kydex sheath or something similar. Not what I do so couldn't offer any advice. Also check out puuko sheaths. They can be made similarly to what you are asking about. Use BagKote instead of Resolene and I almost won't dye leather because of the drying effect it has on the leather.

Wow! Lots of answers. Thanks. Learning. I'm only here about one week. The Avatar shows the pic. I think it does anyway. lol

I don't visit here often enough, missed this thread! Nice Dave, gotta watch that thread while dabbing I bet! very cool thanks for all your tips sir.
G2

I don't visit here often enough, missed this thread! Nice Dave, gotta watch that thread while dabbing I bet! very cool thanks for all your tips sir.
G2

Yeah if ya miss and get the thread a little I'll just do the whole thing then. It doesn't change it all that much because its such a diluted solution but then everything is consistent. I actually will hold it at an angle so that it flows to the center and away from the thread. Ya bet Gary glad to help.

Quick question before my next trip to Tandy's, Horsewright Horsewright , are you using the Eco-Flo to dilute in the Bag Kote?
Many thanks for the great tutorials.

No I don't use anything to dilute Bag Kote. Either in my mixture here or when I use it by it self as a finish. Not sure what Eco Flo is?

I'm actually pretty happy to see this bumped back up to the top! Great tutorial as always Mr Dave! What color Fiebings HI Lighter are you using? Dark Brown?

Gotcha, yep Fiebings Hi Lighter. Brown color.

Back