Anxiously awaiting

Firebat

Gold Member
It's been a couple of years since I've owned a Sebenza of any sort. Now, I'm anxiously awaiting for the delivery of the Small Classic I just ordered in the next day or so.

I'm an 'old-school' Sebenza fan. I feel that while you can compare spec sheets of the Sebbie to lower priced knives all you want, you'll never be able to account for the 'X' factor present in every one of Chris' knives. It's so hard to describe, and you either "get it" or you don't. I "got it" from the first Sebenza I ever bought, and it's stuck with me. Maybe it has something to do with appreciating simple and functional design, I dunno.

Over the years, I've had decorated large and smalls, regulars and classics, inlays, Umfaans, NICA, and even LDC models, but I swore them all off, along with custom knives. For a time, I was buying a LOT of high end knives and it just got too dang expensive. (Having your first child will do that to you... ;) ) Eventually sold/traded most. (I regret the blue circles Umfaan and LDC 109 the most....yes, I am an idiot for selling them.)

So, I went back to picking up select big factory pieces here and there, and have been doing that for some time now. Quality, it seems, has gone up considerably in the past eight or nine years. For the most part, I've been pleasantly surprised.

But not entirely satisfied. I knew what I had to do.

Re-born Sebenzanista? Seems that way. Can't wait. :)

Congrats Firebat! I have also bought/sold/traded several Sebenzas in the last couple years. I only have one right now, a Large Reg. in BG-42. It is in my pocket right now and is NOT going anywhere! ;)

Use your new Sebbie in Good Health!

Sweet!!!
I hope for you, it arrives soon...

Firebat said:
you'll never be able to account for the 'X' factor present in every one of Chris' knives. It's so hard to describe, and you either "get it" or you don't.

I love the way you said that....

Raoul...

Congrats!! You are so right, once you have had a Sebbie, and you get rid of it, the Sebbie stays with you!! Originally Posted by Firebat:
"you'll never be able to account for the 'X' factor present in every one of Chris' knives. It's so hard to describe, and you either "get it" or you don't." You said it perfectly!! I too get it! I now have a large regular, with the Zulu serrations, and it ain't goin' anywhere! This baby stays with me forever!

Firebat

Gold Member
Thanks fellas. Hopefully it'll show up Saturday, but it could be tomorrow. Depending on if I get the 2 or the 3 day end of the Priority Mail deal.

Thought I think I prefer the term Sebenzanaut

That's not bad either. I've been around awhile and "Sebenzanista" was the term du jour back in the day. Maybe that's not pc anymore though, huh?

How about "Sebenza-Cogniscienti". Rolls right off the tongue, don't it? :p

stjames

Sebenzanista
Welcome back, Firebat! You all come back eventually, G2, Senator, where is DocBart? We have lost too many of the tribe, James Mattis, Doc Welsh, Hoss, it is good to have you back in the fold.

I will always be a "Sebenzanista", through and through.

Firebat

Gold Member
djolney said:
quality has a habit of drawing one back into the fold.

Nicely put!

Indeed, it certainly does, doesn't it? That's an interesting observation in and of itself, and quite the compliment to the Reeve shop.

I've bought/sold/traded literally hundreds of knives and only a few evoke a similar response.

(Still thinking about that blue circles Umfaan...<sigh>)

Firebat

Gold Member
stjames! Good to see you again.

I'll have you know I hold you at least partly responsible for my addiction in the first place way back when. I loved pouring over the pics of your definitive collection when you'd post them.

Fantastic stuff.

stjames

Sebenzanista
Firebat said:
stjames! Good to see you again.

I'll have you know I hold you at least partly responsible for my addiction in the first place way back when. I loved pouring over the pics of your definitive collection when you'd post them.

Fantastic stuff.

I have been advised by Council that I bear no legal responsibility for the ruin of anyone’s life because of the pictures posted or advice given in regards to Chris Reeve Knives and the purchase or collecting thereof. Any subpoenas to bankruptcy of divorce court will be ignored.

But it is nice to see you back in the fold. Buy more Chris Reeve Knives!

Firebat

Gold Member
LOL!

Got it Friday evening.

Man, I missed these knives. EDC'ing mine right now as a matter of fact.

It was pretty tight when I got it, but a number of cyclings followed by a take down/clean/lube got it nice and smooth.

Smaller than I remembered though. Great for slacks carry here at the office, but I think I need a large for the weekends.

Uh-oh.... :)