Test ad

Any A.G. Russell slipjoint testimonials here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at the A. G. Russell Stag Medium Stockman and the A.G. Russell Dogleg Trapper. I'm a little unsure if they're worth the extra $$$. Is the blade steel the major factor in the higher prices?
Is the fit and finish typically better with AGR?
Better warranty/guarantee?
If you were to put on a blindfold, could you tell the difference between an A.G. Russell knife and a Queen, S&M, GEC or CSC blade of the same style just by feel?
These knives should last a lifetime of daily, reasonable use... correct?
My poor investigative skills have uncovered nothing bad about AGR, does that sound about right? Quality company, quality service, quality products... correct?
Just fishing for opinions before I buy.
Thanks.
Part 2 of question - Would you rather have the dogleg trapper or the stockman? I love the blades on the stockman, but I've never had a BG-42 blade before. Not sure how BG-42 compares to VG-10.

Post edited. Didn't realize I broke a forum rule. Sorry.

Last edited:

comoha

Gold Member
I've had several AGR knives over time and have always been happy with them. This is a stockman I've had since 2005. The fit and finish is top notch and the carbon blades take a great edge. If I had to nitpick I would say that the bone slabs are mismatched for color. One side is deep brown and the other side almost has a pinkish, liver colored hue. But it doesn't bother me at all. Plus I love the acorn shield.
Can I tell a difference in a blind test with other quality manufacturers? Maybe not, but still a good product or A.G. Russell wouldn't put his name on it.

ch005.jpg

AG's knives are made by many different folks, in many different places. So they are all a little different. All of the ones I have owned or handled have been very nice. AG Russell is not in the business of pushing inferior product, and he stands behind everything he sells 100%. If you don't like something you get from him, you can return it, no questions asked. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the two knives you're looking at. I'm more of a stockman guy myself.

comoha

Gold Member
Part 2 of question - Would you rather have the dogleg trapper or the stockman?

P.S. I would get that dogleg trapper in stag. I was eyeing that for sometime trying to get my wife to buy it for me for our anniversary. She didn't bite.
That is a sharp looking slippie right there. :thumbup:

Bastid

Goat herding fool and resident vermin breeder.
Staff member
Super Mod
Seen a lot of AG's knives over the years. Some higher end some basic knives. Never saw one with his name on it that was not quality.

As far as the company, they go beyond in taking care of their customers.

kamagong

Gold Member
I only own one of A.G.'s knives, a toothpick. It is a quality piece with good fit and finish, nice handle scales, and excellent blade steel. I wouldn't hesitate to get another of his knives if it appealed to me.

- Christian

The spey blade on that dogleg is a killer, i'd buy it just for that blade shape. I prefer the cocobolo myself. You can't go wrong with A.G for service and guarantee.

Regards

Robin

rprocter

BANNED
I have the AGR Stockman and the Dogleg Trapper in Stag is on it's way; may be at the P.O. now awaiting my pickup.
The Stockman is made in AG's workshop and mine is an excellent knife, at least equal to my Case/Bose Norfolk collab and yet costs quite a bit less.
AG's standards for design and workmanship are very high.
I am confident the Dogleg Trapper will also be a superb knife as Mr. Russell says "This is a wonderful example of the BEST of Japanese folding knives".
Both BG42 and VG-10 are superior knife steels and there is no doubt that both of these knives will stand up to a lifetime of use and still be perfectly good.
So my opinion is both knives are easily worth their selling price and suggest you get the one that seems to talk to you the loudest. For sure you will be very pleased.
roland

rprocter

BANNED
I just received a PM saying that the AGR Stockman is likely made by Queen.
My reading of the description on the AGR site is that this knife is made in their own shop by their own workers.
So, i have just emailed AGR asking for clarification.
Whichever it is does not change my opinion that it's a fine knife, worth it's price.
I will post any reply received.
roland

I have both the A.G. stockman and it's lil brother whittler. Both are quite excellent knives. Both are nicely made and very well put together. The stockman is an A.G. re-design that takes the stockman to a higher level of performance in my opinion. The whittler is equally as nice but a bit too short in my opinion for serious pocketknife work. IT is one of those knives the sight of which tickles the dickens outta me and it is a cuttin' lil sumbiscuit.
I have eagerly awaited the next knife in this series hoping it to be a Congress of at least 4".
I know nothing of the trapper you asked about for many and varied reasons the most importent of which is I do not like trappers in any way, shape, form and length from any manufacturer.

A.G.'s new peanut is a wonderful litle knife with a clip and a wharncliff blade. Fit and finish are excellent.

rprocter

BANNED
Here is the reply from "AGR":
"Dear Mr. Procter:

That is a production knife that AG Russell has made in the USA but not
here at our shop. Have a good week!"

So, quite likely Queen is the manufacturer.
The first link in O.P. goes to AGR's description of this stockman.
If this was all that you read about this knife, do you too, not get the impression that it is made in the AGR workshop ?
or am i loosing my reading comprehension ??
roland

DallasSTB

Gold Member
I had exactly the same impression as you, and remember being a little irritated when I found this out myself. I'm an AGR fan, but just like on d'bay - What they don't say is often as important as what they do say.

Still a good knife and worth the $ if you ask me.

rprocter

BANNED
even though this is not my thread, i want to thank Steve for his help in correcting my misunderstanding.
roland

The description on AG's site about the stockman didn't indicate to me that the knife was made in his shop. Those knives are always heavily indicated as "shopmade", usually in the name of the knife itself. The description hints to me that that knife was produced by Camillus, if anything. It doesn't have the Queen "vibe" to me. It looks more like a Camillus, and has the same acorn shield that my Camillus-made "premium scout" has.

rprocter

BANNED
Well, at risk of being wrong again : I collect Camillus; have a few 100, and it does not have a "Camillus feel" to me.
roland

drj211

Gold Member
"We will be making our own Shopmade® knives here but those will be far more expensive than the knives produced by companies such as the ones listed above."

This is a quote for the stockman from the catalog. Made me think they were made in their shop. I must have read too much into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.