Any Beckerheads geocachers?

I recently discovered geocaching. I've known of it for a while but never partook. Anyway, I made a Beckerhead trackable. If you want to follow it, go to geocaching.com and search for the trackable TB4Y4J8. I placed it in a cache while riding my Triumph at the Sturgis Bike Rally today.
IMG_1878.jpg

Last edited:
ElementNotFound Exception: Couldn't find base element in array: Y

How is the rally this year? I haven't been there in a few years, not since grandparents moved away from Piedmont.

Nice. I love geocaching, but go in spirts. They'll be a couple months that I'm out almost everyday. Then a couple months nothing. I'll keep an eye on your patch. If it makes it near Florida, I'll try and track it down.

I have been a Geocacher since 2008. I recently discovered Becker knives. I actually ordered my first Becker last Wednesday, a BK11. Geocaching is a great activity that Beckerheads should not overlook!

ElementNotFound Exception: Couldn't find base element in array: Y

How is the rally this year? I haven't been there in a few years, not since grandparents moved away from Piedmont.

I found error and corrected the tracking number. The rally is slow according to regulars. It still seems like a crapload of people to me. I've been to Sturgis 2 other times but it was never during bike week. Despite my fears, the Triumph is a big hit. People have been taking pictures of it. I've only seen one other Triumph. Tons and Tons of roadkings and Ultra Classics.

Nice. I love geocaching, but go in spirts. They'll be a couple months that I'm out almost everyday. Then a couple months nothing. I'll keep an eye on your patch. If it makes it near Florida, I'll try and track it down.

One of the reasons I dropped it here is that people stop into Sturgis from all over the world. Hoping it travels a bit.

I am a big fan of Geocaching as well although I honesty haven't gone in quite some time. It is very popular in my area (Clearwater, Seminole, St Pete). I just took my daughter to a big local city park. (Walsingham park) where there has to be over 20 throughout it.
It is a fun way to get out and see nature as well as visit some pretty cool locations that you may never have known about. Next time I go I will take my 11 and 14 for some pics. If its a more rugged area it will be the 7 and/or the 10 :)

I found error and corrected the tracking number. The rally is slow according to regulars. It still seems like a crapload of people to me. I've been to Sturgis 2 other times but it was never during bike week. Despite my fears, the Triumph is a big hit. People have been taking pictures of it. I've only seen one other Triumph. Tons and Tons of roadkings and Ultra Classics.

Last time I went, was the first time they crested 1,000,000 visitors for bike week.

I can imagine the triumph would be a big hit.

I was geocaching before anyone knew what it was. I was using a $100,000 single frequency, 7 channel gps with a geodetic antenna, in the back of a pickup truck. It was brutal. It was work then.

It's a bunch of fun now.

Doc

I was geocaching before anyone knew what it was. I was using a $100,000 single frequency, 7 channel gps with a geodetic antenna, in the back of a pickup truck. It was brutal. It was work then.

It's a bunch of fun now.

Doc
Moral of the story: We finally got Sadaam too!

I'm not military in any way and I think I got it Chameleon... Even if I didn't I chuckled.
This is what we need more of. Sprinkle in some Becker caches similar to the ESEE caches and we'll be golden :D

The wife and I love geocaching. We haven't done it in a little while, but we have our own signature items and a cache of our own that we maintain. :)

I'm not military in any way and I think I got it Chameleon... Even if I didn't I chuckled.
This is what we need more of. Sprinkle in some Becker caches similar to the ESEE caches and we'll be golden :D

I wasn't offended....and I got the inference.. Just didn't "get it" .. I feel so out of touch sometimes... Carry on...

Doc
I guess I should clarify quick before someone DOES take offense. I actually have the highest respect for those that are in the military. I was just making a joke that the list of equipment you were using, at the time you were using it, seemed to be military only equipment.

I guess I should clarify quick before someone DOES take offense. I actually have the highest respect for those that are in the military. I was just making a joke that the list of equipment you were using, at the time you were using it, seemed to be military only equipment.

No, it was some of the earliest equipment available to civilians, and I was working for a state agency. Only governmental agecies and large private firms could afford units back then. We had 4. Ours being civilian models were subject to Selective Availablity. SA was a built in safeguard to render civilian models less accurate than their military counterparts. The military units were not affected by SA. SA could be adjusted by the DOD to introduce an error to the already not-so-accurate single units. At one time, SA contributed as much as a 200 meter error to the unit. Didn't matter though, when you use two or more units simulatainiously, the error cancels out during post-processing and has no affect on the solution. The Clinton administration turned off SA years ago. Right afterwards, the sale of smaller handheld units started to skyrocket, and without the distortion of SA, could be relied on to be fairly accurate for everyday use.

I am a surveyor, so we used them to establish positions on the Earth to the sub centimeter level, so the hand held units were pretty much useless for our needs. What I jokingly referred to as "geocaching" was really a crude way to locate old benchmarks. I would scale a position of a needed mark from a USGS quad sheet and convert it to NAD 83 values and try to use my unit to find the mark, well, more to just get close enough to help me find it. That old unit was in the back of my truck because it took a car battery to power it and it travelled in a huge Pelican case. Since SA was still on then, with it's distortion set to "who knows what" on any given day, it made finding those marks easier, but not easy.

So the running joke around my fellow surveyors, whenever geocaching was brought up, would be that I was doing it before anyone called it geocaching.

Funny thing is I really do like geocaching. I thought to OP's Becker "trackable" travel bug is a great idea. I may have to plant a few Becker patches myself.

Take a 9.... Bust a cap... Wait... The other 9.... Bk9

P8120062.jpg

And after the foray.... Ahhhhhhh

P8120063.jpg

Doc

Back