Any Beckerhead's with a Tormek ?

I just got the T-4 Bushcraft model. I know, it's like cheating but it sure is fast. I plan to get the Japanese waterstone in a month or 2. I watched the cd that came with it. Set it up & took our 2 cheapest kitchen knives (pre-prison Martha Stewart knives) Lol & had them hair popping sharp in no time. I have a lot of knives & am looking forward to having them all hair popping sharp with a mirrored edge. So far I am loving it.

I plan to do them all in the 220 grit mode & fix the uneven grinds, then switch to the 1000 grit, then the 4000 grit Japanese waterstone when I get it.

Please keep us posted....I'm Always on the hunt for better sharpening

I love the fact that you can watch the water & it tells you if the blade is in flat contact with the wheel and also as your doing the tip . I will periodically update this thread.

Ok, The King has never been happier !!! I sharpened my BK9, BK7, BK16, Kabar Jonson's Adventure Blade skinner, BK13, BK11 today. They are all hair popping sharp. This sharpener makes me giggle every time I use it. So fast - compared to hand sharpening. Does not destroy the blade. 1 or 2 swipes on each side and done. I am not a fan of the leather strop wheel. Because I don't have the Japanese waterstone yet, I finish them up on my Gatco. Takes maybe 5 minutes. I am setting up all my edges at 22° per side. That way I can use the preset angle on the Gatco in the field (truck tailgate).

T TwinStick , I had no idea what a Tormek is until I just googled it. That’s a very serious piece of machinery and not for a casual user. Do you make your own knives?

T TwinStick ,
Consider a CBN wheel rather than a waterstone for your T-4. I run a 600 grit CBN wheel on my T-8 from Spartan and couldn't be happier with the CBN wheel's performance. With CBN there is no water needed and no dressing the wheel. I might add a 1000 grit CBN in the future.

25 or so years back, I used a Foley cbn machine to sharpen carbide saw blades.

Oh, just checked it out as well... Argh, my Budget... But it seems like a fun apparition to sharpen with.

I most likely get the new Work Sharp Precision Adjust and try that

No, I don't make my own knives. But as I have said before, I have about a hundred knives. They are not high end knives & some of my big choppers have uneven grinds. I wanted to fix that. I also have a 1x30 with some belts. I used that to put a convex edge on a 1075 chopper I have but the edge would roll over during heavy use. I reprofiled it with the Tormek. It would have taken me the rest of my life by hand !!! Lol

It's a new toy, a tool & saves me a ton of time. I got to get my ave out & see if it will work in the axe jig.

LOL Fal'er

So a few updates. I was not able to get desirable results with my axes & the axe jig. I think it would be spot on with a Granfors Bruk axe profile. It could also be me but I was able to get desirable results freehand on the Tormek. Then just finished them up very quickly with a hand stone. My axes have never been sharper.
I also ordered the SJ-200 Japanese water stone today, which is supposed to be 4000 grit. Looking forward to being able to put that mirror edge on quickly.

Back