Any Buck 55 in better steel?

I'm not knocking what they come with, but I'm wondering if the 55 is available in the fancy stuff like s30v or bg42 like its big brother is. If not, do you know why not?

Nothing is available in BG42 anymore. One of these days maybe someone will move some boxes and find some old 110 blades in BG42 that were lost for years. That would be about the only way.

S30V is the only premium steel that is offered on "big brother" 110 now.

No special steel offered on the 55 that I know of.......probably not enough demand for such a knife to justify it.

Thanks. I was thinking that might be the answer. The libs have really put a tight legal limit on blade lengths around here, and I try to stay semi-legal. I've got a 110 but it never leaves the drawer due to size; so, I was hoping for a smaller model. C'est-la vie.

Thanks. I was thinking that might be the answer. The libs have really put a tight legal limit on blade lengths around here, and I try to stay semi-legal. I've got a 110 but it never leaves the drawer due to size; so, I was hoping for a smaller model. C'est-la vie.

If you are lucky enough to run across a 501 Master series and it's not too big, they had BG-42 blades. :thumbup:

I see 112s in 440C on the auction site and other places regularly (that's the Three-Dotter and earlier). There are often examples in mint condition.

If I were you and the three-inch knife was what I needed, I would not hesitate. The 440C is easily the equal of any of today's super-steels and will sharpen nicely with a diamond hone.

Go for it!

:)

What is your size limitation to be legal there?

Yes, Dave that 501 from the Master Series is very close to the 55 . Chewy, you may like the new club offering of the 501 in the Heritage Series, with canvas micarta handles and S30V blade . Maybe some left . DM

Back