Any chance we can do anything about misrepresentation in movies?

Professor

Gold Member
Surely the same argument could be made by most all pistol manufacturers, but is there anything we can do as AKTI members to stop the ugly use of knives in movies? This occured to me while watching "High School High," a spoof of a far more serious movie, where a gang member pulls a Microtech Halo on one of the teachers at a dance. This kind of crap is doing nothing to promote our cause. While we certainly can't stop people from committing crimes with edged things, why must we tolerate fictional depictions that attach bad connotations to the fine tools we know and love? Stupid movie people. Is there anything that can be done? I see this as a real priority for the AKTI, and have for a while. Misrepresentation in the media, especially fictional-for-entertainment-only is something that to my thinking we could do something about. I write letters all day long as a facet of my occupation, and have no problems doing so in relation to this. I'll write anyone who has an address. How many motion pictures or television shows have you seen where a Spyderco or the like has been used to do something evil? Do motion pictures not have to get permission or pay some sort of royalties to use these knives?

Professor
AKTI member A000222

[This message has been edited by Professor (edited 05 September 1999).]

I agree. However I think it is more apt to backfire if there were any effect at all.

It would appear that neither Klinton nor the NRA are able to influence the entertainment industry.

I saw a spot on the local DC television news yesterday by a Fairfax school teacher who belongs to the NRA and was promoting the Eddie Eagle (not positive about the name) program which the NRA has for children to teach them basic what to do stuff related to guns.

This was an excellent promotional spot and even better, the newspeople had nothing negative to say about it! I think approaching it from the educational point of view is a very positive and proactive, but non-confrontational way to go at this.

The same educational approach should work well for knives. I know they teach this in scouts, but I don't know how many kids participate in scouting these days (that institution always seems to be under attack by various elements).

Anyway, one of the best ways to counteract Hollywood misconceptions is through good education. When kids and grownups alike know what is real, the fictional has little impact other than entertainment.

Sorry, seems I got carried away again with a minor rant!
frown.gif

I try to keep my enthusiasm in check, but sometimes it just gets loose.
smile.gif

Prof, I'm afraid that we would merely give them a focus for their anti-personal rights fervor.I believe that positive advertising and public relations are the most effective ways to counter such intentionally slanted "entertainment".Support of AKTI is certainly a good start!(Mine is in transit somewhere!)

------------------
"To grow older is inevitable.To grow UP is optional."

The AKTI board has recently discusssed this problem. One effort we want to put into motion is a letter offering assistance about knives, how to properly use them, concerns about how they are portrayed. Of course, movie producers will do what they want in the end. But, we hope to have some positive affect. We need to develop a list of "decision makers" or those who should receive such a letter. Any help developing such as list would be great! Any volunteers or suggestions?
Jan

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

I was talking to Ron Robley from Gerber. He had worked with the development of a movie where the bad guy (nutcase) was a knife salesman. They were unable to get the movie people to downplay many aspects because the "nutcase" had to be a "nutcase" to make the plot work.

The people that provide items to be used in movies either buy the products outright or actually charge you a sponsorship fee to use your products in movies.

If you pay you have say...

Gentlemen,

I deal with the motion picture production companies on a fairly regular basis. I don't particularly like the way that knives are used in a lot of films either, but the fact is that "slasher" movies sell, and that's the bottom line as far as Hollywood is concerned. As far back as I can remember, knives have always been used as weapons in films rather than tools. I guess Swiss Army knives don't have much box office draw. I doubt that we in the cutlery industry will ever be able to do anything about the way that knives are used in movies.

Incidentally, in the film in which Robert DeNiro portrayed a "nut case" knife salesman, the knife used was a GT Custom.

------------------
Richard
Blade Runner Knives

I'm equally concerned with the way that knives are portrayed in movies but more concerned with the way that the knife industry itself portrays knives. Tactical Knife, fighting knives, combat knives.
Common sense should tell everybody that it's bad for the image of knives but knifemakers and manufacturers still keep buying advertising space in these publications.
How can the knife industry have an impact on another
industry when they can't even clean up their own house?

[This message has been edited by TomW (edited 28 October 1999).]

Back