Any comments or reviews on the Schrade Avatar?

Has anyone checked it out yet? What are your thoughts?

I just saw it at a local retailer and I decided to buy one. It's very different to what I was used to seeing from Schrade. Even though the cutting edge is roughly 3 inches long, the partially serrated Schrade+ (440A?) blade seems larger. The knife is surprisingly lightweight and comfortable to hold. It comes with a stainless steel pocket clip designed for tip down carry and the lockup on my model is solid with no blade play in any direction and the action is smooth. I must admit the looks of the knife will probably not appeal to alot of people, but it's a sturdy folder. While the blue rubber inserts add a nice contrast, the overall pattern and "look" of the cast aluminium handle is what takes time getting used to. At first glance it seems like a Gigand import, but it is made in the USA. The handle material and texture reminds me of the cast handles used on the Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T. folders. The blade cutout is easily accessible and works well in both left handed and right handed openings. Some folks may not like the hump on the blade, but it serves as an area to place your thumb on like the humps on Spyderco models. Also, it is of lockback design, but unlike a traditional lockback, it uses a U shaped spring with the ends on each side of the handle instead of the bar commonly seen on lockbacks. Anyhow, it's a knife with exotic looks that may not appeal to many, and in fact, it may be downright ugly to some, but it kind of grows on you after a while.

One more observation. Unlike other Schrade knives, this one does not have the model number etched or stamped on the blade and the box is sterile (plain white) and just has the designation AV7 on one of the flaps.

scav7.jpg

pic courtesy of knifeoutlet.com

Back