Any Engineers out there?

I haven't really seen this before or maybe haven't looked in the right place. I would really like to meet and acquire some advice from some of you whom may be engineers. I'm sure there are other forums out there that I could look to but I figured I could start here. I'm still working on my undergrad but was wondering if there are any outside certs that would help me get into any trades/internships to help pay for school that would eventually pave the way to my career. As of now I leaning towards the aerospace field but would be cool with a Mech E. degree as well.

Any advice, help and or names of appropriate forums would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Cameron

A lot of colleges have programs for placing summer interns with companies. See if yours does. If it does, do whatever you can to get placed in it. Having work experience in a corporate culture is a big plus. And the college staff in those programs sometimes have a better understanding of where the jobs are than the regular placement staff do.

One of the things we look for at my company is the ability take direction and to work well in groups. While we give credence to academic achievements, the last three engineers we hired in our group were selected from three groups of academically qualified candidates because of how well we thought they would work as part of the team. Two gals and a guy were selected. All very competent and all easy to work with.

If you have mechanical hobbies, such as working on cars or fussing with computers, make sure that gets into the resume. A lot of engineering companies still place a premium on practical experience making things work. The engineers in my company do.

Thank you so much. Yeah, it is getting to the point where the rubber is meeting the road. I need to start looking for employment opportunities that are relevant to my long term goals. Are you saying that I would be better off contacting outside recruiters as opposed to the college staff who helps find internships? Thanks again.

Are you saying that I would be better off contacting outside recruiters as opposed to the college staff who helps find internships?
No.
I am saying that when it is time to find a job instead of an internship, don't forget to contact the folks at your school who run the internship program, in addition to the other resources you contact at that time. The internship staff sometimes hear about opportunities that the placement staff don't hear about.

I'll second knarfeng's input - take advantage internship opportunities. Even if it is not directly related to the area you'd like to focus, the workplace exposure (corporate and field work) is invaluable - plus others in the field can give you ideas and input regarding certifications and trade experience that may help you along. I have seen the company I work for hire many interns; for what it is worth I've talked to a few who admitted changing career directions after the experience.

I opted to work for more money during my summers off, but in hindsight can say I would have been miles ahead had I pursued internships.

What college/university are you attending? I'm in Southern California as well on my 2nd year as a material science engineer major.

Thank you guys for the input. I'm actually moving to LA after this semester so I plan on doing all this there, also there should be ample opportunity as opposed to Orange. I'm pretty set on engineering, but I guess you never know. Thanks, Cameron

What college/university are you attending? I'm in Southern California as well on my 2nd year as a material science engineer major.

I'm in Orange County, attending Orange Coast College. I plan on moving to Los Angeles in December after finals. Kind of nervous because I'm not to familiar with LA but hopeful for greater school, work and future employment opportunity.

What school are you at? I was thinking of joining a club or something to possibly network with some like minded folk but wasnt sure if it was beneficial?

I'm in Orange County, attending Orange Coast College. I plan on moving to Los Angeles in December after finals. Kind of nervous because I'm not to familiar with LA but hopeful for greater school, work and future employment opportunity.

What school are you at? I was thinking of joining a club or something to possibly network with some like minded folk but wasnt sure if it was beneficial?

I'm at UCR (bourns college). I don't really know of any knife clubs in this area but enthusiast level definitely varies--or are you asking about clubs in general in college? If the latter clubs can be a good way to meet some people in a social sense. Most colleges should have major specific clubs to help you in your extra-curricular or academic efforts. I joined a MSE club but stopped attending meeting due to lack of interest but most likely will get back into it. In any case finding "like minded" folk is definitely a good idea. The hard part is finding if they are genuinely "like-minded." If the former I don't really know of any knife clubs so can't help ya there.

I'm at UCR (bourns college). I don't really know of any knife clubs in this area but enthusiast level definitely varies--or are you asking about clubs in general in college? If the latter clubs can be a good way to meet some people in a social sense. Most colleges should have major specific clubs to help you in your extra-curricular or academic efforts. I joined a MSE club but stopped attending meeting due to lack of interest but most likely will get back into it. In any case finding "like minded" folk is definitely a good idea. The hard part is finding if they are genuinely "like-minded." If the former I don't really know of any knife clubs so can't help ya there.

Just clubs to help with academic endeavors. Knife clubs would be cool but may not go over to well. Have you started looking for internships or have you already done so?

Just clubs to help with academic endeavors. Knife clubs would be cool but may not go over to well. Have you started looking for internships or have you already done so?

Since I attend a UC, people make a lot of fuss about finding undergraduate research--especially since its offered right on the campus. I would say on campus undergraduate research is a bit overrated but is definitely great if you can get it. Its better to start early and most people recommended that I begin finding undergraduate research opportunities now. The experience is great and can help build towards a solid internship when you hit your upper divisions. I don't know if the college you attend offers undergraduate research, but it can be any kind of undergraduate opportunity. Preferably pertinent to your major of course. My ideal undergraduate plan is to find a suitable research opportunity to participate and by my 3rd and 4th year begin seeking out internships in the summer. Good quality internships usually require upper division standing--if you are still in lower division you would need experience to make up for it. A bad idea would be to go through college and not participate in a single thing except your classes. That would set you back a good measure if your aim is to move straight into the industry or to attend graduate school. I would say mechanical engineering or aerospace would follow a similar plan to mine--begin building undergraduate experience now and aim for upper division internships. In any case that's all the advice I can give, especially that I haven't gone through all of it myself yet.

I have heard of research opportunities but did not really give it any thought. Maybe as it did not really pertain to my field. This is great help though as I will take anything I can get. However, the only ones I have heard of are for the social sciences which wouldn't be too bad and which may not hurt, but not really what I had in mind. But I will have to check those out. I know we have robotics teams and which would be fun. Yeah, you are still going through it, but you are further along than I and have more experience. Thanks for your advice and if I don't hear from you again, good luck.

I have heard of research opportunities but did not really give it any thought. Maybe as it did not really pertain to my field. This is great help though as I will take anything I can get. However, the only ones I have heard of are for the social sciences which wouldn't be too bad and which may not hurt, but not really what I had in mind. But I will have to check those out. I know we have robotics teams and which would be fun. Yeah, you are still going through it, but you are further along than I and have more experience. Thanks for your advice and if I don't hear from you again, good luck.

Feel free to contact me in the future. I begin my fall quarter soon and I will be attempting to find good undergraduate research/experience opportunities while finishing up my lower division.

Don't discount the social sciences experience. I am a retired EE with an MBA. However, since I was lucky enough to be raised in a family too poor to have a TV until I was in my teens, I was a voracious reader, and did extremely well in the "liberal arts" classes, took not one second of college English due to a 33 ACT score in it, and wrecked the grade scale in classes such as economics, history, and psychology. The engineering degree got me hired and promoted up to a certain point, but most of the management jobs I got were more a result of writing, economics and communications skills than of pure engineering. My gut feeling is that one day you would be happy you had the social sciences aspect in your resume'.

The Navy offers significant program where they pay you monthly for the last two years of school. Afterwards, you go to officers candidate school and agree to I believe a 6 year enlistment. My nephew did this. He's quite smart. He had absolutely no money concerns after getting into the program and could afford a new car.

Back