Any examples of hunting knife sheaths without snaps or posts?

weo

Hello all. Now that I'm getting into making my own sheaths, I'd like to make one for the first knife I made, as I'm really not happy with the one my local leatherworker made for me. Does anyone have pics/examples/ideas of sheaths that don't use posts or snaps to secure this type of knife in the sheath? I have an idea or 2, but being a newbie, don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

gdK7uNPl.jpg

FzFFmicl.jpg

Thanks
-billyO

Last edited:
Carved Pancake:

MDLiT7X.jpg

Slot and Loop sheath:

30eYwAw.jpg

Horizontal:

FGNvzNe.jpg

SOB (small of the Back) sheath:

qGqRMjl.jpg

Pancake for a Steingass:

LxoKoMl.jpg

If you're gonna be a bear might as well be a grizzly. Whole set built around the Steingass for a fellow BF guy:

moKTBvE.jpg

Lots of different ones:

DKFrDcM.jpg

Thanks for the examples, Dave. I'm wondering what I need to do differently to make the knife more secure in the sheath. Also, with the guard shaped as it is, it seems to me that there needs to be some sort of strap to secure the knife in the sheath, but I know I'm probably wrong.

PS- Dwayne, thanks, but I can't see your pics. I know it's possible your photo host is still down.

Thanks all.
~billyO

So I just recently made a sheath for a knife with a guard that was kind of circular like yours. i don't have any pics though so I'll try and describe it. Where the guard would rest inside the sheath (and just prior) I made the welt two layers for about an 1.5". Each side of this extra welt piece was skivved down to zero. when the sheath was all sewn up it gave a little extra room for the rounded guard. So in the first flower carved pic if ya look at the interior stitch line on the bottom side ya see there is kind of a hump. That is the shape of the welt on the inside. So the knife has got to ride up and over this "cam" so to speak and it locks it in. If ya go to the stickies at the top of the page and check the tutorial I did on pancake sheaths you'll see some pics of the interior of a sheath and how the welt interacts with the knife to lock down the retention. This is known loosely as a "Loveless welt" after Bob who kinda pioneered it as he did many other things in the knife world. If ya look at the Steingass sheath you'll see that I modified this standard and there is a dip in the welt. On pointy knives I do this. The leading edge of that finger guard contacts the front edge of that dip in the welt before the tip can hit the welt and or the stitching. This prevents pokey knives from poking through. The rear edge of the dip still acts like a cam and provides the retention as the finger guard has to ride up and over that hump to get out. You get this right and you can have great retention. You look close in this pic and above his left hand front pocket is one of my knives and sheaths. This is retention, when ya ride a bronc on purpose and carry your knife.

FtNZ4dx.jpg

For some years I've tried to get those horses right so I don't go for any unintended bronc rides but I still do silly stuff like play horseback BBall:

XRM8nTt.jpg

It was Nichole going for an unintended bronc ride that got me really seeking out retention. It was years before we were married and she was carrying only the second sheath I'd ever made. The mustang she was riding for a client broke in two and I watched her knife go sailing across the pen, while she stayed on for a few more jumps before coming off the other side of the mestano. Always felt coming off your pony and landing on a knife could be a bad thing. Thats when I really started looking for the best ways to carry knives horseback safely and how to keep them where they belong if things get western.

Last edited:
Thanks Awhiteha, but if you would have paid attention to the title of this thread....:confused:

Well, here's what I came up with.

aSx3tzf.jpg

zMMFeJG.jpg

Is there an easy way to attach the small cylinder to hold the straps? I sewed it in with 4 stitches in a box pattern, angling the needle and moving the loop out of the way, but it was kinda a PITA:uncomfortableness:

Looks good!

Instead of the leather cylinder you could use a bead ;) :)

Its hard to describe, but I have an idea about that loop.

Cut a longer strap of the same width, cut a slot in the face of the sheath, run both ends of the strap through the slot till you get the size of loop you want. Glue the ends to each side of the slot on the inside of the sheath. You might want to skive down the ends a little to cut down on bulk.

Yea, I hope that is somewhat murky. :p

Thanks Ebbtide.
Dwayne, what I'm envisioning is kinda the same technique I did with the strap on the belt loop if I were to look at it from the inside of the belt loop? That would have been easier, thanks.
~billlyO

Very nice overall package. Kinda like how the colors of the handle are replicated in the sheath, a fall leaf kinda thing.

Thanks, Dave. That was my main complaint about the original sheath. If he would have dyed the leather to a darker brown, he would have probably gotten more business from me instead of me getting into making sheaths. Although I'm not sorry he did as I enjoy this almost as much as making damascus.;)

Back