Any experience with 20CV steel?

The Mastiff

Gold Member
Any comments from use on the 20CV steel used in the team leader model? I'd like to know how you feel it compares to S30V, BG42, etc. Haven't heard much here about the team leader yet. Thanks, Joe

I have not compared it to either of those steels. But I have used mine camping several times with out sharpening. It shows a little wear but still looks pretty close to new. I am pretty happy with it so far.

Thanks Chris. I've been wondering why the knife didn't make a bigger splash. It's a pretty high end stainless tool steel not used except on some customs. It should be in about the same class as the others I mentioned above, I guess using more chrome carbides than vanadium in the case of S30V. Not quite up to the carbide percentage of S90V, 10V etc.

I like mine but haven't had a chance to work it out due to health reasons. About the only complaint is the grip can bite in a few places. It's wicked and would penetrate as easily as slice. I won't go further in that direction.

I'm really surprised it hasn't been a big item. Thanks, Joe

It has done well but is just had not gotten much press until lately. Actually it got a mention in Field and Stream last year.

Chris, I recall that article. I've seen it, and it's 440C little brother mentioned a few places. It's very well designed, engineered and made of very high quality materials. I feel it's true calling will be in the MBC/Self defense category, though it is capable of multiple uses of course.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's such a good design, and so well built I'm surprised it hasn't developed a fanatical following. I would change the grip in about two places to make it more comfortable in cold weather but the balance, feel and ergonomics are really well thought out. it comes alive in the hands.

As I said, It has potential I won't talk about on an open forum. ( I'm ex L/E, and corrections BTW, and don't mean any harm by this). I like the 20Cv for most uses over OU31 even, and that's a compliment.

I'd hope SOG doesn't give up on this steel. I'd love to see it in a Tomcat 3 class folder. There again I love tool steels in knives. Stainless, powder tool steels that are tough, sharpen fairly easy, and take a really nice edge are worth the extra purchase, grinding and heat treating costs IMO.

Hopefully just the beginning. Joe

Back