Any fans of "The Stand" by Stephen King?

Really like The Stand. Probably my second favorite behind IT (I've read IT 3 times). If you haven't read IT I suggest that be next on your list. The movie doesn't even come close to doing it justice. I'm also reading the dark tower series. I'm through the first 4 which I got in a box set. Really enjoying this series and I think you should stick with it Dan. Anyone have any other King suggestions.

I loved this book. This is what made me love stephen kings work...

It was just freaky and is worth a read. A mate told me the other night how the movie still torments him. He saw it at my house.

I also like the book "watchers" by koontz. I read it around the same time.

I have read The Stand, IT, and the whole Dark Tower series. I was a so-so King fan until I read all the Dark Tower books. He went so deep into the story, and blended in characters from other King books.

I got his latest Dark Tower book which fits in between a couple of the existing series, but I haven't started it yet.

Late to this thread by a bit but a huge fan of SK's.
I've read most of what he has written since picking up my first book in 1983(ish).
My favorite 5:
The Stand
Firestarter
The Shining
Salem's Lot
The Dark Tower series

About the latter, I recently re-read every book so that I could read The Wind Through the Keyhole in the new slot he created for it in the timeline.
I think they are more cohesive if read in series without too much time between books.
Perhaps his most complicated and both best and in some ways worst work.
Cheers
J

Bag of bones is excellent , also from a Buick 8 is pretty good too. I enjoyed the stand, read the book and watched the movie. The dark tower series was cool, last few books were soso, but Roland is the man

Favorite would probably be the "The Shining". Next up, would probably be the Long Walk. Then possibly Rage. I was thinking about getting the stand ,but then ended up going with "Under the Dome."

Roland is indeed the man...has anyone else listened to the audio version? The narrator for the Dark Tower series has a gritty, Clint-Eastwood-ish voice. Maybe even more Eastwood-y than Clint himself. LOL

I honestly think king wrote Roland to be played by Clint , too bad it didn't happen, I don't know of another actor that could be his equal for the role

Ok - I just read the part where Harold is munching on a Chocolate PayDay Bar and I'm thinking - What the ?!?

I had to google it to see if it was a real thing.

I'm still doubtful, but looks possible.

Anybody have proof of its existence?

To me, that would be the perfect candy bar. I've long been a fan of the PayDay for its simplicity and sugar/salt combination.

Chocolate on top of that?

Hopefully someone will tell me it exists and that YES it can be still purchased somewhere today!

Dan

I just got to the part of the "trashcan man"......"trashcan man".....

This book is crazy.

Ha!

For sure. The trashcan man will play a major role.
Great book (started out well but then got a bit weird and a bit long). I have read a number of Apocalypse scenario books this past year (to get into the mood so to speak :)

Here they are

the Stand
Lucifer's Hammer by Pournelle, Jerry, Niven, Larry
One Second After by Forstchen, William R.
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by Rawles, James Wesley
The Road by Mccarthy, Cormac
I Am Legend by Matheson, Richard
Wool (Silo Serious 7 books) by Howey, Hugh
77 Days in September by Gorham, Ray

Then a few true survival stories
Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea by Callahan, Steven
Skeletons on the Zahara: A True Story of Survival by King, Dean

and few survival manuals
Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills by John McPherson
Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival by Mors Kochanski

then I decided to take a brake from the gloomy stuff and read
The Game of Thrones all 5 books by Martin, George R.R (great fantasy)

Now at the part where the Trashcan Man has met The Kid -

HOLY @$%^@

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've also read Lucifer's Hammer - really enjoyed it.
As well as The Road, I am Legend and the classic Alas, Bablyon.
I haven't yet read One Second After but it's on my iphone ready to go...but I probably won't get to it for a while.

Wow....finally finished "The Stand".

*Interesting ending* indeed!

The Stand is good.

The Dark Tower series is great... it can drag a bit at times, but I find the first book to be the weakest. Could be because Eddie is my favorite character in the series, though.

Pet Sematary, Cujo, and It are probably my favorites aside from those.

The Eyes of the Dragon is a different type of book, but it features Randall Flagg as a main character, so if you read The Stand for him... you could read that, too.

Read it twice the first time probably 20 years ago.

i agree with an earlier poster my favorite King work is The Long Walk he wrote under the pen name Richard bachman. he also wrote Rage under that pen name another very good story.

Also Randall Flagg is also the main bad guy in the King novel Eyes of the Dragon

Back