Any fellow smiths in the Northern California / Redding / Humboldt Area?

Hi everyone, I've had a family emergency and will be flying back home for the next 6 or more weeks to the Northern California area to take care of my father who's just suffered a stroke. He's stable and things are optimistic but I'll have to be away from my shop for an undetermined amount of time.

I'll be looking after my dad for weeks to months, still unsure how everything is gonna go. As knifemaking is my main means of making a living these days I'm trying to find a way to be able to continue working away from my own shop as a means of continuing to cover expenses for travel and everything else. I am hoping to find a shop, communal space or fellow smith who would be willing to share/rent shop time. I am happy to pay for the time, or trade materials, skills, anything really that would work.

I'll be between Redding and Humboldt the whole time. If any fellow smiths are up there who would be interested in renting/sharing studio time, or anything really (even just meeting up) I'd be happy to chat. Also any opportunities for communal workspaces would be interesting too. I totally understand that one's shop is their sacred space so I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Any connections, recommendations or suggestions that anyone has regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone, hoping for the best with all that's coming.

Nick

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this to see if there are any potential connections in northern CA. Flying out tomorrow morning and will be with family for the first weeks but anything after that would be really helpful. Thank you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MS Aaron Wilburn is in Redding, and MS Quesenberry is about two hours from there, Id suggest reaching out to Wilburn, I've heard he's a great guy. A guy called @hillbilysquirl on instagram is in the area as well. If you have the time the Eugene knife show will be next weekend and Im sure you'll be able to find a good amount of people in northern Cali. Good luck with your dad, I hope this helps.

Thanks Mr. Stelter that's great to know, I'll get in touch with those guys! I've been wanting to meet Aaron Wilburn for a while and will message him as well.

I'd love to go to the Eugene show but am gonna be looking after the pops for some time before I can do anything so probably will be doing that full time the next few weeks. Would be a great opportunity to meet everyone. Next time :) thanks again for the help [emoji120]

Back