Any Handle Modifications For The Ontario Rat-3 ??

I recently purchased a D2 Rat-3 and in many ways I am very happy with this knife. The one area I still struggle with is the lack of width in the handle. I thought of having someone install spacers to fill out the handle but I'm not sure this can be done while maintaining the fit of the standard kydex sheath. I also thought of wrapping the handle with leather shoestring or paracord, but need to do some research on how to do the wrap correctly and successfully.

Am I the only one out there who wishes the handle on the Rat-3 was fatter? Anyone out there who does successful modifications on this knife?

scm207,

I recently purchased one as well and have the same issue. I really haven't given it much thought, but, now that you mention it, I am going to try a wrap of some kind.

I would consider making or buying new grips to screw in, but I think that would cost quite a bit. The leather wrap sounds good.

Anyone ever try the leather -like wrap used on tennis rackets?

I'll post when I figure out how to wrap it.

-Coop

ok, tried the leather shoestring wrap and it's pretty bad. Maybe a thicker leather wrap is available at a craft store. I'll look around and see what I can come up with.

Best-

Coop

I understand this isn't plausible for everyone, but.....

The first thing I did with mine was remove the Micarta and replace with some mesquite I had laying around the shop. The wood had been with me for more than 15 years, so it was plenty dry and stable. I finished the handles a little thicker than the Micarta was, and had to inset the screws to make them fit. I ground the front of the scales down to *just a tad* (a beaver hair) thicker than the Micarta and it stills fits nicely in the Kydex. I don;t use the Kydex though because I made a leather sheath for the mini-beast.

Now....if I could only get that D-2 as sharp as I want it........... (I'm kindly wishing I'd bought the 1095)

Kinda ot but has anyone tried shrink tubing... the kind for electrical connections?

If you can get it large enough, it may not add too much size, but would be grippy. Blaze orange would be cool.

-Coop

Buy a set of micarta slabs for a few bucks and replace them.

If I had the skills and the tools to shape new micarta slabs, get them to taper to fit the standard sheath, and not have the final product be a disaster, I wouldn't have posted the question. :eek:

If anyone knows someone who does successful modifications to the Rat-3 handles or who has had success modding the existing handles, please share!!

Hello,

I don't have a RAT-3, but am seriously thinking about getting one.

One thing that I have done to build up the grip on some knives is use tennis overwrap. Wilson makes a tacky, or regular, in various colors. I've used it for several years with good results. Seems to bind onto itself after several days, and stands up to hard use (stabbing). No failures so far, but you can't go too many layers deep with it I wouldn't think. I always overlay it, meaning I wrap in a tight spiral. But I have approached 3 layers deep doing this. It put a pretty significant bulge in the handle of the knife I was using, and this is exactly what I wanted.

I start and finish off the ends with electic tape btw.

Either the tacky or regular seem to work well, and neither hitches my shirts in OWB EDC, and I done it 24/7 for over 3 years.

Another thing I tried recently on a knife that worked too well was to use Industrial Velcro under the tennis overwrap. The fuzzy part of the velcro adds bulk, and sticks VERY well. I had trouble pulling it off. I didn't test this much, as it made the handle too bulky, so I had to take it off. But it felt solid. I was afraid the tennis overwrap might not stick and bind well to the fuzzy velcro. But I think it just might. Another alternative would be skateboard tape under the overwrap.

Couple of el cheapo ideas to try. I'm thinking seriously about getting a RAT-3 and wrapping it.

Best,
Zippy

I'm always curious as to why some things end up with a design feature that is a bit off. It sounds like a lot of folks are unhappy with the thickness of the RAT-3 scales. I have a TAK-1 and the handles are just right -- I wouldn't want them any thicker, that's for sure. And I haven't seen any complaints about the RAT-5 or RAT-7. I did some quick research and discovered that the TAK-1, RAT-5 and RAT-7 all have a blade thickness of 3/16 inch while the RAT-3 has a blade thickness of 1/8", (it is 1/16 or .062 inches thinner). I am betting that Ontario is using the same thickness scales on the RAT-3 as it is on the other models and didn't take the thinner blade into consideration. If this is true then they should make the scales 1/32 of an inch thicker on the RAT-3 to make it have the same grip width as the other models. Maybe I'll drop them an email with that suggestion. For reference, my TAK-1 is .700" thick at the handles.

As a side note, it looks like Ontario has a bad link on their website. When you get to the page with the Randall's Adventure and Training knives, it shows the RTAK, TAK-1 and the RAT-7. When you click on the "Next Page" button you get the Hickory kitchen knives. I haven't found a way to get to the page showing the RAT-5 and RAT-3 (I got the blade thickness for those off of Cumberland's site).

Back