Any help on a production date?

LuxN

Gold Member
IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1048.JPG IMG_1049.JPG Was wondering if anyone could help me out with a production date or a little info on this plumb hatchet I recently picked up. I know the lighting isn't the greatest, I can snap a few more pics if needed. Thanks.

That's a tough one, no red permabond , and no screw take up wedge.
It's a dreadnaught according to the sticker so that may help with dating it.

Have a peek at the Plumb manufacturing entries via yesteryearstools.com. The Dreadnought model you've got is in very nice shape. The fact that the handle is original and doesn't have a 'take up screw wedge' (1920-43) nor is set in Permabond (1955 and up) would indicate manufacture somewhere between 1943 and 1955. The 'Axe of Champions' logo is a 1930s to about 1960 phenomenon which serves to bolster the other identifiers. Were you to say 1950+/- you'd pretty much be 'bang on'.
Slight correction here: correct spelling is Dreadnaught, instead of Dreadnought.

Last edited:
Have a peek at the Plumb manufacturing entries via yesteryearstools.com. The Dreadnought model you've got is in very nice shape. The fact that the handle is original and doesn't have a 'take up screw wedge' (1920-43) nor is set in Permabond (1955 and up) would indicate manufacture somewhere between 1943 and 1955. The 'Axe of Champions' logo is a 1930s to about 1960 phenomenon which serves to bolster the other identifiers. Were you to say 1950+/- you'd pretty much be 'bang on'.
And it may be less likely to have been made during the WWII years, since the "Victory" markings and finish were used then, so this might futher narrow down the likely range of years.

Dating a product, without a serial number, date stamp or time-sensitive address, is usually difficult. But in this particular case you're quite lucky. Forum member Operator1975 did show us a few years ago that not all Plumbs were hung via the Permabond (an epoxy compound) method initially (black colour in 1955 and red starting in 1956) but yours is not a budget grade model such as 'All American'. And Steve is correct in saying wartime products often featured different markings and a lesser degree of finishing. Victory-stamped Plumbs didn't necessarily die out at the end of 1945 either because some of their newly created products (for instance 'National' model which was patented/copyrighted in 1948) also carried the Victory stamp for awhile.

Thank you guys for the wealth of info. This thing is solid for its age. Truly don't even think it was used. Only thing I've noticed is some very slight wiggle with the head.

Thank you guys for the wealth of info. This thing is solid for its age. Truly don't even think it was used. Only thing I've noticed is some very slight wiggle with the head.
If you soak the eye in oil (many folks prefer boiled linseed oil (referred to as BLO)) that'll likely swell the wood to tighten up the head. It's pretty dry this time of year (late winter in the northern hemisphere) which dries out wood. Failing that if it's loose enough to withdraw the handle you can always smack in a new wood wedge. Stay clear of using metal wedges until you're desperate.

3 300Six Thanks. I'll sit it in some BLO tomorrow and see if that helps. It's a very slight wiggle so it likely will.

From that post:
img_1048-jpg.860510

On page 25 of the document "Plumb BSA Scout Axe -- History and Timeline of the Plumb Boy Scout Axes", by Ryan Landin (posted to this forum and elsewhere), a similar gold stamping on the handle (TESTED PLUMB HICKORY, U.S.A.) was said to be used with some scout hatchets in 1948. (Some earlier hatchet handles said "SELECTED" instead of "TESTED".)

From that post:
img_1048-jpg.860510

On page 25 of the document "Plumb BSA Scout Axe -- History and Timeline of the Plumb Boy Scout Axes", by Ryan Landin (posted to this forum and elsewhere), a similar gold stamping on the handle (TESTED PLUMB HICKORY, U.S.A.) was said to be used with some scout hatchets in 1948. (Some earlier hatchet handles said "SELECTED" instead of "TESTED".)
Good spotting Steve! There is lots of good information out there and sorting it all out requires better men than myself. I happen to have an OEM Plumb National axe with a wood wedge (ie 1948 to 1955) and the handle marking (HANDLE OF TOUGH, SPRINGY HICKORY - tested, fitted and driven by - PLUMB) was a paper decal. Perhaps gold paint embosses were discontinued altogether in favour of lesser-expense labels beginning in the early 1950s?

Last edited:
3 300Six Thanks. I'll sit it in some BLO tomorrow and see if that helps. It's a very slight wiggle so it likely will.

Try Swel-Lock or generically, DPG, dipropylene glycol, (not propylene glycol!) mixed with 20%-25% water. DPG is a common ingredient in perfumes and some make-ups. It is colorless, odorless and harmless. You can find it reasonably priced on websites like amazon or ebay.

Back