Any hunting near Dallas?

AdamFuzzyballs

Gold Member
Hey y'all!
I have been living in the Dallas area for almost a year now, and to be honest it's taken a lot for me to get accustomed to the "city life". I grew up in East Texas, on the Arkansas border, and never had a shortage of shooting/ hunting opportunities. I hunted deer mostly, but also small game or even nuisance animals. What I can harvest for food I do, I don't wastefully kill.
Well, I live here now, and the hunting itch has been driving me crazy lately. I kept telling myself I'd be able to find a farmer or rancher to let me hunt some hogs or coyotes or something for a lesser fee (or sharing the meat), but apparently that's a fantasy around here.
So, I figured I try asking Bladeforums and see if anybody has any suggestions for free or cheap hunting in this area!? I hunt wth rifle or bow, and honestly I am open to any game. Like I said, if it's something you can eat, I probably will:D:thumbsup:
I know it's probably a far stretch, but thanks for any help!!

I hunted every year UNTIL I moved to Dallas. As you know Texas is different especially about trespassing. If you aren't invited or don't own it you're trespassing. I once got yelled at by a land owner just for turning around on his property along a county road (farm road). It rubbed me wrong but I kept my mouth shut.

I would personally look to your roots and the places you have already hunted for the future. Driving to East Texas is not hard from Dallas.

I was invited to hunt on a couple high fence properties in South Texas and always turned the landowner down. It just felt wrong to me at the time. Now, I wish I would have taken them up on the offer.

I now live in Tennessee. The lease thing has taken hold here as well and for the most part, you need to be a member of a club or have a lease. I haven't hunted deer in about 5 years now. I have hunted here and been successful. I am totally unwilling to pay $1000 to hunt deer. It just isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Yeah that's my feeling about it. We lease hunt in East Texas, and I've just about given up hope of finding a place closer to hunt. It's just too expensive!

I hunted every year UNTIL I moved to Dallas. As you know Texas is different especially about trespassing. If you aren't invited or don't own it you're trespassing. I once got yelled at by a land owner just for turning around on his property along a county road (farm road). It rubbed me wrong but I kept my mouth shut.

I would personally look to your roots and the places you have already hunted for the future. Driving to East Texas is not hard from Dallas.

I was invited to hunt on a couple high fence properties in South Texas and always turned the landowner down. It just felt wrong to me at the time. Now, I wish I would have taken them up on the offer.

I now live in Tennessee. The lease thing has taken hold here as well and for the most part, you need to be a member of a club or have a lease. I haven't hunted deer in about 5 years now. I have hunted here and been successful. I am totally unwilling to pay $1000 to hunt deer. It just isn't worth it.

The LBJ National Grasslands north of Decatur used to allow small game and bird hunting. That was 30 yrs ago though. There is some day lease/ pay by the gun situations west of Ft Worth in Parker, Palo Pinto and Stephens county but they can be expensive.--KV

If you use a bow and got some skill you can fill deer tags on public land reasonably close to DFW.
Take a look at the map booklet https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/annual_public_hunting/
Also Corps of Engineers allow hunting around some of the reservoirs look for the US Army Corps on Engineers on the internet.
Lake Whitney has a good Deer population (archery only).
Finally there is LBJ/Caddo national grasslands https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/about-forest/districts/?cid=fswdev3_008440

Back