Any idea if or when the custom shop will open back up?

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by 954Ink, Jun 6, 2020.

1. 954Ink

954Ink Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 22, 2020
    Does anyone know if or when the custom shop will open back up?

2. UNRL Ghandi

UNRL Ghandi Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Bossman said 5-7 years from October 2015 so we could have a couple more years to wait. :(

Kinda hope it stays closed until after I can snag Thanksgiving shop credits this year.

954Ink likes this.
  3. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    954Ink likes this.
  4. 954Ink

Feb 22, 2020
    I was looking for the dislike button. That sucks.

5. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom

Mar 17, 2020
    So are some people waiting 5 years to get their knife? Or is the custom shop just closed to individuals?

954Ink likes this.
  6. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Basically, the current model - Custom Shop releases through Ganzaas and Grab bags - seems to be working well and eliminates the headaches that come with trying to create something that's in someone else's head.

I love the idea of the custom shop but from a business standpoint, it doesn't make sense if you can sell the knives anyway without the back and forth.

7. gk4ever2

May 1, 2008
    I think what a lot of people miss is being able to do handle swaps, add handle liners, a complete reconditioning including recoating/refinishing a knife, and so on. :(:mad:

8. Will perkins

Will perkins Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Two weeks:D

Wharn and musicisevil like this.
  9. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    It won't be anytime soon, I guarantee it! (Jerry, prove me wrong)

(See what I did there.... swine tactics)

10. David Lennon

David Lennon Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2017
    This is exactly what I'm looking for, some liners and a recoat. Hopefully it does open again, I wasn't around when it was .:(

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Apocryphiliac and Chrisinzky like this.
  11. gk4ever2

May 1, 2008
    Here's a true Hog for sure! :D

12. evltcat

evltcat Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2011
    If nothing else, it would be great if the Custom Shop opened for handles and spa treatments.
    I would think that should be do-able...

13. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I don’t know the ins and outs of logistics and fiscal feasibility in the custom/semi-custom knife “industry,” but this suggestion seems doable. One could even have a dedicated craftsman on that. Or two depending on volume. We would have to promise to support this to make it viable, though!

SO, let’s do a proposal thread and each and every one of us can place a theoretical, but pledged, order!

14. Don't drop it.

Don't drop it.

Jan 10, 2014
    A case of Johnnie Walker Blue and a $1000 dollar order gets Anything Opened Up.

15. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Jerry probably put a pencil to it already and realized the return on investment for material inventory and labor for simple jobs didn't add up. When you're building "Customs" at $100+ per inch you can make a little profit, but just small handle and liner work is Labor intensive for what you need to charge to recoup labor+materials. When the Custom Shop was open it impacted Regular Schedule orders, and Military Contract orders. 2 Weeks is nothing compared to the waiting list of a year.

16. David Lennon

David Lennon Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2017
    I assumed the Custom shop did different work separate from regular orders and production knives. Some makers offer limited customisation on preorders etc and they would be considered smaller companies with a couple of months wait time but still make money out of it.
    If you were to get down to the dollars and cents of it, production mass volume anything is probably more profitable, but sometimes less profitable services add an unseen value and experience to owning anything. Still love my Busse's but would like this option at some stage.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  17. 954Ink

Feb 22, 2020
    Preach that. If that works. I'll throw down.

David Lennon likes this.
  18. UNRL Ghandi

Oct 24, 2013
    What I think would be cool is if when they're doing the annual shop credits for Black Friday if they had an auction/ganza for say 1 of 10 spots for legit custom shop orders. Buy or bid on a spot and then place an order at the $100 per inch model (or whatever the price today would be). Wouldn't be for everyone since you'd be paying a premium to get a spot + cost of the knife but I'd outbid all you fools for a couple spots to order a couple legit Busse Custom ideas I have floating around in my head. Shoot, I might buy all 10 spots and better luck to you next year! :)

19. 954Ink

Feb 22, 2020
    I agree with most of what you said. Outbid us all- you a rocket doctor? Lol dang ole space lawyer.

David Lennon and UNRL Ghandi like this.
  20. UNRL Ghandi

Oct 24, 2013
    Haha, not a rocket doctor but if Busse did something like this I'd spend all the bank's credit like I was! :D