1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any idea on this head?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Ratboy42, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Ratboy42

Ratboy42

Jun 6, 2018
    Hi All, Just about to start on my next axe and I picked up this head and not sure what it is but it does have a marking but it's hard to make out. Anyone have some insight to what it might be? I think it may be a Collins and under the distinct S has US that I can make out but may not show well on the picture. Thanks in advance for all the help![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    It definitely doesn't say Collins on it.
    There's a chance of it saying homestead which was a Collins line, but I don't know of this fitting any homestead stamp.
    I thinking this probably isn't a Collins.

Edit : Steve Tall may be right, I spaced it on the legitimus stamp he has pictured.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  3. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    I think it says Collins Legitimus, like the stamp below:

[​IMG]

4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    As a legitimus that would definitely fit and I had a complete brain fart forgetting about this particular stamp.
    I was thinking the common Collins stamp.
    I don't really see any evidence of the crown ,arm, and hammer everything else does match up.

Nigel1 likes this.
  5. Ratboy42

Ratboy42

Jun 6, 2018
    Thanks guys, it's pretty hard to make out and I appreciate it. I'll soak it again see if any more become legible but I think it's a long shot.

6. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    You have a Collins Legitimus. I am near confident on that

7. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    More soaking in vinegar may clean out the pits somewhat but the already-exposed bare metal will tend to get eroded some more, which can make the stamp less legible.

Close examination as-is (in comparison with the photo of the complete stamp) may show other details that match, like you already mentioned "under the distinct S has US that I can make out". Just looking at the photo I think I can see parts of the arm and hand.

Miller '72 likes this.
  8. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    I agree with Steve and have personal and sad proof in pictures of my first axe find, the catalyst for my passion of tools to now include axes and crosscuts and near every other logging or saw mill tool I can find or rescue:thumbsup:

The vinegar soak without question does its job but in doing so, will make the stamp less legible :cool:

This was my grandfathers Legitimus that my son unearthed in the backyard last summer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the vinegar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please know, this is just information offered for you to make your own decision.:cool::thumbsup:

Drum4fun, Agent_H and Square_peg like this.
  9. Ratboy42

Ratboy42

Jun 6, 2018
    I'll keep it the way it is. I can make out the ring at the bottom of the hat so I think you guys are right. Thanks for the info I'll let you guys know how it swings after I hang it!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018